Headline should read "Fedora Releases Fedora 18 Beta"

Story: Red Hat Releases Fedora 18 BetaTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
bsjones

Nov 28, 2012
3:13 PM EDT
Headline should read "Fedora Releases Fedora 18 Beta" or something rather than Red Hat.

bob

Nov 28, 2012
3:17 PM EDT
Red Hat itself made the press release announcement this time, and the attribution on the headline goes to them.

I know, usually the Fedora project itself makes the release announcement to the fedora-announce list, but this time it came directly from Red Hat and the headline is correct.
Fettoosh

Nov 28, 2012
5:10 PM EDT
One wonders if Red Hat is re-entering the Linux personal desktop Arena!

Red hat has been successful in the server market, may be they see an opportunity for the desktop.

bsjones

Nov 28, 2012
6:23 PM EDT
Red Hat may have announced it but they didn't release it. Fedora did
caitlyn

Nov 29, 2012
3:34 PM EDT
Splitting hairs, much? Fedora is, in large part, a test bed for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Red Hat funds the development of Fedora and pays the full time employees. Yes, there is community input and participation, perhaps to a greater extent than a popular desktop distro I could name. That doesn't change the fact that the Fedora Project, despite all protestations to the contrary, is there for the benefit of Red Hat, the company.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 29, 2012
5:15 PM EDT
It's all semantics, but it would be nice if Red Hat at least pretends there is more separation than in this release.
caitlyn

Nov 30, 2012
3:25 PM EDT
Why, Steven? Why not admit what Fedora really is for once.
penguinist

Nov 30, 2012
3:58 PM EDT
And let's not forget that before this distro was called "Fedora" it was called "Red Hat Linux".
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 30, 2012
7:49 PM EDT
Who's a better steward, and who treats its community better, Red Hat or Canonical?

Go!
caitlyn

Dec 03, 2012
12:42 PM EDT
From my perspective that's a no-brainer, Steven. I've not been happy with what's been coming out of Canonical for some time.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 03, 2012
5:24 PM EDT
One of the blockers in Fedora 18 is a new upgrade mechanism. Red Hat Enterprise and Fedora distributions have never had as robust an upgrade system from release to release as Debian and Ubuntu. If they get this working, and upgrading from release to release is as reliable in Fedora as it is in Debian, that will be a significant leveler between the two projects.
slacker_mike

Dec 03, 2012
7:00 PM EDT
@Steven for what it is worth I did a yum upgrade from F17 to F18 and had no problems. I was curious how it would work and was pleased to say it was basically trouble free. I used the following instructions http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 03, 2012
7:08 PM EDT
I'm still not over my Fedora 13-to-14 upgrade. It did not go well.

My understanding is that F18 will have a completely new upgrade tool.
slacker_mike

Dec 03, 2012
7:12 PM EDT
Yeah funnily enough called fedup if I am not mistaken.
lcafiero

Dec 04, 2012
2:31 PM EDT
"The Fedora Project is a Red Hat-sponsored community project" <---- from the press release, sent by the Red Hat PR department, which is something they've been known to do. Historically, this has always been inserted in any release sent by Red Hat. Don't know if that's unclear to anyone, but if anyone needs clarification, I think I can help there.

Also, Steven_Rosenber -- thanks for the laugh.

caitlyn

Dec 04, 2012
6:10 PM EDT
It is, indeed, called fedup.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!