Miss Leading Title

Story: Hands On With the $20 Indian Android TabletTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Jeff91

Dec 02, 2012
7:27 PM EDT
The device actually costs just over 40USD is what I gather from the article:

"the Indian government to subsidize his $40.41 tablet by half for up to 220 million Indian students."

That being said, that is still a great price point for a device. It sports the AllWinner A10 chipset - which is fairly Linux friendly. Same board that is in the MK802 I've been plugging recently on my blog.

~Jeff
TxtEdMacs

Dec 02, 2012
7:39 PM EDT
Hey Jeff,

I agree a misleading subject line*.

YBT

* Are you crazy about women or do you dislike them?
Ridcully

Dec 03, 2012
12:00 AM EDT
At a price like that, you just cannot lose and I'm almost** tempted to try one.

**Want a few more details on the specs, interconnectivity, power supply, etc. etc. But it's still a heck of a jump down to $40 from the price of the nearest competition.
tracyanne

Dec 03, 2012
12:36 AM EDT
@Txt the Miss Leading Title, is a contest for geeks of the female persuasion.
Ridcully

Dec 03, 2012
12:47 AM EDT
Hey TA, that's discrimination.......I wanna "Master Leading Title" as well.
Jeff91

Dec 03, 2012
1:09 AM EDT
Ha wow. Yea - I've been doing at least three things at once all day - typed that title without much thinking and hit publish - not sure why my fingers put a space in there...

~Jeff
Ridcully

Dec 03, 2012
1:30 AM EDT
I just went back and read that article again.......slowly. The most dramatic thing, I think, is what has not yet been mentioned in any of the posts, because we all sorta take it for granted: The Aakash2 is running on Android - well, at that price, it would have to be. Added to that is that this pad will be going out to about 220 million students for a government subsidised half price, so there is no doubt the Indian political system wants this project to succeed.......There is no way a certain company based in Redmond could even think about competing, unless it gave away something even better but with enormous losses, and with Indian government backing for the Aakash2, it just ain't agonna happen in my books.

I know little about IT dynamics in the Indian subcontinent, so I may be missing some other factors, but on the face of it, the current Indian student generation is going to be raised on Android and hence motivated to Linux. This seems to be an enormous paradigm shift in Indian computing towards FOSS and general rejection of Windows.

2c :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!