I guess I'm a Luddite but...

Story: Rights? You have no right to your eBooks.Total Replies: 13
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 07, 2012
6:07 PM EDT
I love old fashioned paper books.

I will point out that you can download, at no cost, and with no DRM, any number of classics from a variety of online sources. These generally are books and shroter pieces where copyright has expired, but not entirely.
Ridcully

Dec 07, 2012
6:31 PM EDT
I'll second that statement Caitlyn. My daughter has a Sony ebook reader which she loves......it leaves me cold.

There is something indescribably satisfying in turning over the pages of a book; to carefully open a fragile book that was bound in 1892 and see for yourself the hand-tinted colour pages of the illustrations and smell the old scents of thick, ragged edge cut paper pages. I find printed books far easier to enjoy, to store on a shelf (and catch dust of course) but to treasure and take out again and again - and be greeted by the same welcome every time.......Okay, I'm a Luddite too, but for printed books, I'm proud to be.
tuxchick

Dec 07, 2012
6:41 PM EDT
Once upon a time books were newfangled technology. With computers and e-readers we're back to scrolling :)
caitlyn

Dec 07, 2012
6:51 PM EDT
LOL. Good point, tc :)

Try and decorate a wall of your study or living room with ebooks and tell me how that turns out :)
BernardSwiss

Dec 07, 2012
8:57 PM EDT
> Try and decorate a wall of your study or living room with ebooks and tell me how that turns out :)

Just wait till "e-paint" hits the market...

(Any bets on how long that will be?)

gus3

Dec 07, 2012
9:15 PM EDT
It's called "television".
Fettoosh

Dec 07, 2012
9:37 PM EDT
E-paint - It is already here, 3D-printing.

smallboxadmin

Dec 08, 2012
2:14 AM EDT
Add me to the newly converted. I didn't think I could ever read from a device. I received a Nook Color as a gift and I love it. No problems reading, though magazines need to be rethought. Books on the other hand are no problem at all and I've read several books.

My mother gave my daughter her Kindle when she switched to an iPad. I deregistered the Kindle and associated it with my Amazon account and have had no issues. Amazon is pretty clear on how to do this. I've purchased books and downloaded free classics.

I wonder if the problem was giving a Kindle with books on it to someone else and putting the books on a new device? Now there are two copies of the ebook.
Ridcully

Dec 08, 2012
4:05 AM EDT
Like I said above, my daughter loves her Sony ebook......and reads from it quite a lot. Fine.....if you want to read from a page about 10 x 15 cm, and I have absolutely NO doubt that it is excellent for plain text with the occasional picture thrown in.........Now......let me open an atlas with pages 26 x 36 cm and get the contour line details it can display, or my folio work "Gerard's Herbal" with similarly huge pages of antique text and woodcuts which would be impossible for an ebook reader to deal with.......I am sure you get the point.

There is a place for these small screen readers, but in my opinion, it certainly is not with the larger folios that are so common on the shelves of bookstores or libraries. I work with botanical/mycological specimens that involve complex descriptions and finely detailed and labelled drawings. I cannot conceive of anything more annoying or disruptive than trying to use an ebook to work with such written material.

I think that ebook readers are great in that they are bringing books to lots more people, but there are situations in which they simply cannot "cut the mustard" in my opinion.....But for the huge group of books which are essentially text.....hey, go for it.

2c :-)
jdixon

Dec 08, 2012
7:23 AM EDT
> I didn't think I could ever read from a device. I received a Nook Color as a gift and I love it.

My wife agrees with you. She picked up a Pantech Novel 6" ebook reader last year to try out for something like $35. She found it so useful that she wanted a Kindle, which I purchased for her birthday last month. She loves it, and it's largely replaced actual books for her.

Yes, there are DRM issues. But for obvious reasons, I won't discuss that here.

If I ever decide to get one, I'll probably either buy a Kobo or just get a generic Android tablet and run fbreader. But for her, the advantages of Amazon's pricing and title selection make the Kindle the best option.
tuxchick

Dec 08, 2012
1:08 PM EDT
I have Calibre on my laptop, and it's very comfortable for reading. (Thinkpad SL410.) Best of all I get a full keyboard and it's hands-free-- I don't have to hold it up like a Kindle or Nook. Just plop it on my lap. Now if I only had a lackey to click the button to advance to the next page it would be perfect. I also have a Kindle, and it's very cool technology. But Amazon hates Linux users, like so many big companies that profit handsomely from Linux, and we already know all the other problems with Amazon and Kindle.
caitlyn

Dec 10, 2012
12:42 PM EDT
My Mom loves her Kindle and a close friend loves her Nook. OTOH, you can download a Kindle app for an Android tablet so I'm not sure an e-reader is the way to go if you have or plan to buy a tablet. The point, which is valid, is that these devices phone home and send info on your reading habits to commercial companies who can then market the info or give it to government. I wonder how many eBook reader users are aware of it. I'd bet not many,
jacog

Dec 10, 2012
12:59 PM EDT
Heh, this comes to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmoUq6pE4uA :)
smallboxadmin

Dec 10, 2012
2:24 PM EDT
Quoting:... who can then market the info or give it to government.

I know my bookshelf, which includes Don Rickles and Jerry Lewis autobiographies, make me a danger to the government.

Quoting: I work with botanical/mycological specimens that involve complex descriptions and finely detailed and labelled drawings. I cannot conceive of anything more annoying or disruptive than trying to use an ebook to work with such written material.

Uh, yea, OK. Apples and oranges and all that stuff.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!