My comment on Mark Shuttleworth's Blog

Story: Ubuntu Community Manager apologises to StallmanTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tracyanne

Dec 10, 2012
6:39 PM EDT
Unless the internet search feature is opt in, it is malware. If it is the user's assumption that they are searching their local data, and they receive search results that include Amazon or Google or Facebook, the the search is NOT functioning the way the user wants it to... that is a either a Bug, or an unwanted intentional behaviour, ie malware

It is simple enough to change the behaviour to allow the user to choose to receive search results from the internet in a case by case manner, in such a way that the the user chooses prior to the search being initiated on the Internet.

To say that the user has the choice, to turn the whole thing off, is both beside the point and less than honest. Most users will be unaware of this, or may not understand the full implications.

If Canonical truly had the users best interests in mind, the ability to select when and where the search occurred outside of the local data store would be available at the time of each search, so that a user could by default search only their local data store, with the option to search other Internet based data stores, choosing each on[e] to fit their perceived needs.

The real reason for having this "feature" on by default is simple revenue raising, that turns a personal computer desktop into an advertising billboard, and has nothing to do with what is in the user's best interests
caitlyn

Dec 10, 2012
6:58 PM EDT
In the comments under Jono's apology he makes clear that it will NOT be changed to opt-in. Can't let anything interfere with the revenue steam, can we?
tuxchick

Dec 10, 2012
7:17 PM EDT
What's wack about all this is a lot of Ubuntu fans would gladly accept this as a means of supporting Ubuntu, and opt-in on purpose. But once again Shuttleworth brilliantly alienates yet more users.
flufferbeer

Dec 10, 2012
8:29 PM EDT
@tuxchick,

>> But once again Shuttleworth brilliantly alienates yet more users.

Once again, I think you are right on. Same goes for tracyanne. The great and mighty Shuttleworthless is probably keeping Jono on the very $HORTE$T of leashes with that apology to RMS..... maybe just enough to soothe the masses of worshipping fanbois and the elite devs until the NEXT Baboontu conflagaration gets again foisted on its naive end-users!

2c
BernardSwiss

Dec 10, 2012
8:32 PM EDT
tracyanne said everything I wanted to, already (thanks, tracyanne).

Ubuntu and its spokespersons can say whatever the choose.

But in the end: spyware is, as spyware does.

tracyanne

Dec 11, 2012
7:19 PM EDT
Seems they are not going to allow my comment to be posted on Marks Canonical Blog. Just as well I posted it here too.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 11, 2012
7:26 PM EDT
Quoting:In the comments under Jono's apology he makes clear that it will NOT be changed to opt-in. Can't let anything interfere with the revenue steam, can we?

I have a feeling this is going to be a financial disappointment as well as a PR and community-relations disaster.
DrGeoffrey

Dec 11, 2012
7:28 PM EDT
Quoting:Seems they are not going to allow my comment to be posted on Marks Canonical Blog.

Where's Claude Rains when we need him?
Koriel

Dec 11, 2012
7:51 PM EDT
Probably at Rick's.
caitlyn

Dec 12, 2012
4:10 PM EDT
Don;t you just love people who don't allow opposing comments? So, Mr. Shuttleworth wants to live in Wonderland where everyone agrees with him. Is that it?

There was nothing wrong with tracyanne's comment. It was civil and stayed on point.
flufferbeer

Dec 12, 2012
6:21 PM EDT
To use a Stars Wars Movies trilogy analogy, it seems to me that Canonical is already acting like it's the Dark Side of the Force. We have "Mr. Shuttleworth" as the evil Emperor who is the epitome of the Dark Side, we have Jono Bacon as the great Jedi knight turned into the Community-seducing Darth Vader who so readily serves his master, and we especially have the mightily-revered legions of Baboon2 Developers as the white hat Stormtroopers made to serve the Evil Emperor'$ every whim$ and fancie$!! (Hmmm.... I wonder if that now makes RMS as something like the uncorrupted Jedi Master Yoda or Obiewan Kenobi in the anti-spyware Rebellion??) Whatever. I vote for tracyanne as this week's equivalent of Princess Leia for her post here and for at least ATTEMPTING to comment on Emperor Shuttleworth's Blog!!

2more cents

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!