I think I broke my CPU

Story: What's new in Linux 3.7Total Replies: 3
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Dec 11, 2012
3:28 PM EDT
You might recall that I had multiple motherboard replacements over the last 2 years. Or not, after all you have a life too.

Anyway, while I replaced motherboards because of electrical surges and blown transistors, I didn't replace the CPU itself. $200 more would have made it worth just throwing the whole thing out and starting over.

But now with the newer kernels I'm getting kernel errors. The internal kernel error traps are catching them, and forwarding them to "kerneloops", says a pop-up window at the upper right of my GUI.

I've noticed only two things that fail:

1) Virtual Box. Every time I have tried to run a virtual machine since I last swapped mobo after the transister explosion, the system crashes and requires a hard reset.

2) Kernels newer than 3.4.4. I like trying the latest/greatest, and up until 3.5 had no trouble. Good thing I don't uninstall the earlier one until I'm sure the latest is working, and both 3.5 and 3.6 would lock-up within minutes.

As much as I would like to "try swapping the one component that hasn't changed yet", the CPU itself, it's a $200 crap shoot. I'd rather get my car's engine serviced.
gus3

Dec 11, 2012
6:41 PM EDT
I'd say do a Memtest86+ first. RAM is by far the easiest and cheapest thing to test.
jdixon

Dec 11, 2012
8:59 PM EDT
I'd also run cpuburn (http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=cpuburn) and verify that your processor isn't simply overheating, in which case you may just need to replace your heat sink compound or get a new fan.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 12, 2012
12:21 AM EDT
I had a CPU overheating problem on a laptop that I resolved by blowing a couple years' worth of dust out of the heatsink/fan area.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!