A new dot zero release for PulseAudio: why am I concerned?

Story: PulseAudio 3.0 now better with mobile and wirelessTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 18, 2012
4:05 PM EDT
I mean, PulseAudio is always flawless... right?
tuxchick

Dec 18, 2012
6:32 PM EDT
Why yes, it is! See, sometimes we agree! ;)
jdixon

Dec 18, 2012
7:44 PM EDT
Hmm...

cd /var/adm/packages ls -l Pulse* ls: cannot access Pulse*: No such file or directory ls -l pulse* ls: cannot access pulse*: No such file or directory

I fail to see the problem. :)

To be fair, I haven't checked on my 14.0 machine.

I'm sure PulseAudio has it's advantages, but I'm just as glad not to deal with it on my day to day machine.
Koriel

Dec 19, 2012
12:22 AM EDT
Removing Pulseaudio always works for me im currently running Linux Mint 14 Xfce without it and its all tickety boo using Alsa.
tracyanne

Dec 19, 2012
6:56 AM EDT
Never had any problems with Pulse Audio. Now Jack, on the other hand, has been nothing but trouble.
Koriel

Dec 19, 2012
3:13 PM EDT
I dont know Jack :) but Pulse has never ever ever ever worked for me as I use old Soundblaster 5.1 cards and the alsa emu10k driver just doesnt work properly with pulseaudio but is fine under alsa.

Worst offender is Skype but the "tsched=0" hack fixes it but then that causes Wine's alsa only driver to screw up so best option for a solution in both cases is simply to remove pulseaudio if you can.

Rumour has it that the Wine folks are working on a specific pulseaudio driver which once they get working means I can re-instate Pulseaudio and just use the tsched hack for Skype.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!