Not under the GPL?

Story: On the controversies of Humble, Canonical and Team MeatTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Dec 23, 2012
7:35 PM EDT
I'm finding this story a little confusing... who did what, when, etc... (a lot of it sounds "But He hit me back first!")

As far as I can see in a cursory search (though I haven't found anything definitive), this game is not licensed under the GPL or even some similar, FOSS type of license. The only reference I could find at all was "freeware"')

In which case...
djohnston

Dec 24, 2012
12:45 AM EDT
Tommy and the Meat Boy? Where's Cheese Girl and the Who? I am also completely befuddled by the content of that article.

Steven_Rosenber

Dec 24, 2012
1:52 AM EDT
I'm equally befuddled.
tracyanne

Dec 24, 2012
3:27 AM EDT
It's quite simple.... they don't get on.
jacog

Dec 24, 2012
8:24 AM EDT
Pick me pick me! I know all the facts :)

There's no GPL or freeware involved here - both Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac are commercial products that have appeared as part of the Humble Bundle at some point.

Story goes like this: As a courtesy, Humble makes deals with an assortment of software portals like Steam, Desura and Ubuntu Software Center, to include Humble Bundle games for resale after the bundle sale period ends.

Binding of Isaac was included in the latest bundle, but if you try and add it to the USC, the message says that Team Meat (Ed McMillen and Tommy Refenes) refused to have it added to the USC. Team Meat's version of the story is that Canonical declined it because it was a poor fit. The latter I find easier to believe since the game is heavy on religious themes and disturbing imagery related to the main character's (a baby) poor parenting. It's also a game that does not run too great on Linux. Not sure why Canonical would lie though, unless it has to do with the theme and they don't want to come off looking like they are being Apple-like "moral guardians".

The second part of the story, is that Team Meat also then found out that Canonical had been selling Super Meat Boy for about a year (presumably since it was included in a Humble Bundle) without their permission and without actually paying them. This is the more noteworthy part of the story.

And the guy who wrote the story went off on a bit of a tangeant about Tommy Refenes' previous comments and generally negative attitude towards Linux. But that has little to do with this. I also don't take offense since Tommy is one of the most socially awkward people you will ever see, and tightly wound too. Ed is the more level-headed of the two.

And djohnston, the premise of Super Meat Boy goes thus: Super Meat Boy has to rescue his girlfriend Bandage Girl from the evil Doctor Foetus. Befuddle away! :)
djohnston

Dec 24, 2012
4:16 PM EDT
Quoting:And djohnston, the premise of Super Meat Boy goes thus: Super Meat Boy has to rescue his girlfriend Bandage Girl from the evil Doctor Foetus. Befuddle away! :)

That is as clear an explanation as I could ask for. Thanks, jacog.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!