I'm surprised it isn't more

Story: Mozilla: Almost one in 10 Firefox users opt for Do Not TrackTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 28, 2012
10:55 AM EDT
Only one in 10 people don't want to be tracked? Really? I guess people don't care about their privacy. I would have expected a much higher number.
maxxedout

Dec 28, 2012
11:35 AM EDT
My guess is that most people are ignorant of this setting. They install the software and never look at the preferences.
caitlyn

Dec 28, 2012
11:38 AM EDT
You're probably right. Sad, really.
Fettoosh

Dec 28, 2012
11:59 AM EDT
I tend to believe that most people are gullible about the consequences and don't care.

CFWhitman

Dec 28, 2012
12:02 PM EDT
There could be a certain amount of cynicism involved. There could be a number of people who figure that the sites that respect the "Do not track" flag probably aren't tracking anything specific to them anyway, and that the ones who are really invading their privacy are going to ignore the flag anyway.
caitlyn

Dec 28, 2012
12:09 PM EDT
There are some good tools to anonymize browsing that would work for the cynics and skeptics. Heck, the Midori browser has anonymous browsing built in.
tracyanne

Dec 28, 2012
6:14 PM EDT
I don't opt for do not track, I use Adblock Plus and Ghostery instead.
BernardSwiss

Dec 28, 2012
7:13 PM EDT
I've recently realized that Flashblock plus Ghostery (and perhaps BetterPrivacy) stops almost everything already.

I'm trying to figure out how I can whitelist the sites I really want to support (like this one) without whitelisting every web-bug and cookie on them (for example, DoubleClick).

I don't want to block all the ads, just the annoying ones. And I want to block most of the tracking.

Does AdBlock Plus provide finer-grained control?

tracyanne

Dec 28, 2012
8:10 PM EDT
Good Question Bernard Ive never really worried about that before

Ad BlockPlus uses lists so in principle you Can add and remove whatever you choose on those lists

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!