Seems to be a case

Story: Microsoft says Google trying to undermine Windows PhoneTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
djohnston

Jan 03, 2013
4:19 PM EDT
of the pot calling the kettle black. However, is the following a case of UEFI karma?

Quoting:"YouTube apps on the Android and Apple platforms were two of the most downloaded mobile applications in 2012, according to recent news reports," Heiner wrote. "Yet Google still refuses to allow Windows Phone users to have the same access to YouTube that Android and Apple customers enjoy."

caitlyn

Jan 03, 2013
4:23 PM EDT
My heart bleeds. Really, it does.
tuxchick

Jan 03, 2013
5:08 PM EDT
Awww, this makes me so sad. *snerk*
Fettoosh

Jan 03, 2013
5:58 PM EDT
Quoting:"Yet Google still refuses to allow Windows Phone users to have the same access to YouTube that Android and Apple customers enjoy."

Has anyone figured out the type of access MS claims that Windows Phone users are being refused access to?

As far as I know, YouTube is accessed via HTTP/html browser interface, is there any other? or is it a case of MS proprietary type of interface that is only supported by MS and YouTube is not allowed to use?

It is hogwash, otherwise MS would be all over YouTube with lawsuits.

caitlyn

Jan 03, 2013
6:32 PM EDT
There are Flash and MP4 videos on YouTube. I can't imagine Windows Phone not supporting those.

MS browsers are well known for ignoring standards. Maybe MS did something odd with their phone version of IE and YouTube didn't bend over backwards to write special code to support the 1% of the SmartPhone market Windows has.
tracyanne

Jan 03, 2013
7:09 PM EDT
Microsoft, it seems, is also upset because Google insists on using open-standards protocols including CalDAV, CardDAV, and IMAP, for calandar syncing, rather than Microsoft's proprietary Exchange ActiveSync protocol.

Truly my heart bleeds for Microsoft
BernardSwiss

Jan 03, 2013
9:42 PM EDT
Where are the violins? Where is the horn section -- where is the friggin orchestra? Weren't they supposed to be standing by to provide suitably thematic back-up?

How is anyone supposed to know this is really bad news? Really bad, really scary news! Quick, someone see if we can license the theme from "Jaws".

djohnston

Jan 03, 2013
10:40 PM EDT
Quoting:Has anyone figured out the type of access MS claims that Windows Phone users are being refused access to?

@Fetoosh, according to El Reg,

Quoting:According to Heiner, Google has denied Microsoft's YouTube app access to metadata that would allow it to deliver all of YouTube's functionality, including such features as user ratings and the ability to search for videos by categories.

Because of this limitation, he says, Microsoft has been forced to deliver an app that's really nothing more than a repackaged version of the YouTube website running in a browser – unlike the apps for other platforms, which offer richer experiences.

Although YouTube execs have seemed amenable to helping Redmond get its YouTube app up to par with the others, Heiner says those efforts have been blocked from higher up the Chocolate Factory's food chain.

But, I agree. This is all hogwash. Microsoft's claims of being fettered by unpublished protocols and APIs just happen to be the same tactics Redmond has used against all others for decades.

Fettoosh

Jan 03, 2013
11:01 PM EDT
Quoting:Microsoft's claims of being fettered by unpublished protocols and APIs just happen to be the same tactics Redmond has used against all others for decades.

Thanks @djohnston for the clarification. I didn't read the article in full since I have no interest in reading about MS whining.

Good for Google for giving MS a taste of its own medicine.

gus3

Jan 04, 2013
5:47 PM EDT
Never mind the "Jaws" theme. I'd prefer "Fortuna Imperiatrix Mundi" from Carmina Burana.
montezuma

Jan 05, 2013
10:52 PM EDT
Hey I know what Ballmer should do in response!

Drop another few billion in copying youtube (DollarPipe?). All those other knockoffs like Bing, Zune and Windows Phone have worked so well.....
caitlyn

Jan 06, 2013
1:24 AM EDT
Quoting:ever mind the "Jaws" theme. I'd prefer "Fortuna Imperiatrix Mundi" from Carmina Burana.
Love it :)
mortenalver

Jan 09, 2013
1:15 PM EDT
MS already tried to copy YouTube. I don't even remember what the site was called, so I guess it wasn't wildly successful...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!