Free Software only if you don't accept the binary license

Story: No, Google is not making the Android SDK proprietary. What’s the fuss about?Total Replies: 0
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Jan 05, 2013
2:59 AM EDT
did i get that right?

sure the source for the SDK may be under the apache license, but if i ever accept the binary license then i am barred from distributing, participating in the creation of, or promoting in any way a software development kit derived from the SDK, which at this point i'd have to be doing if i wanted to use the SDK source. because i can't see how i'd avoid sending in bugreports or mention the fact that i am using an SDK built from source.

a non-free binary license is in a way similar to redhat vs centos. only that redhat does not prevent its clients from distributing, participating in the creation of, or promoting in any way a linux distribution derived from redhat enterprise linux.

redhat got a lot of flack for their binary license and it took a long time for the community to realize that redhat is not going to go after centos.

but i can't see google having the same reaction against a competing build of the android SDK because such an SDK would undermine what they are trying to achieve with that anti-fragmentation clause.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!