No surprise here

Story: Fedora 18 delayed yet again Total Replies: 3
Author Content
BFM

Jan 05, 2013
3:06 PM EDT
Fedora 18 is a very ambitious undertaking. Along with Fedora 17 it makes major changes in system internals outside the kernel. On top of that it also has a new installer. From the alpha and beta releases the new internals seem to be in pretty good shape; a little rough around the edges but that is Fedora's role. They will be straightened out over the distro's 18 month release life. The new installer is another story; it is a mess. This is something that has to work right out of the box, and it doesn't. I suspect this is a major issue in the delay.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 05, 2013
4:55 PM EDT
I hope the new installer is worth the wait. I've had a lot of luck with Anaconda as it is now.
slacker_mike

Jan 05, 2013
6:58 PM EDT
The new anaconda is alright, not nearly as feature filled as the old one. Not sure why the redesign as it seems to target inexperienced users instead of being optimized for the enterprise at least when I last played with it.
lcafiero

Jan 06, 2013
3:12 AM EDT
Heh. At this point, maybe they should just skip 18 and go right to 19 in May :-) BFM is right, though: It's a pretty big undertaking and it's no surprise it is taking longer than expected.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!