Turnabout is fair play

Story: Google blocks Windows Phone from Maps, limits GmailTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
cmost

Jan 05, 2013
8:29 PM EDT
Considering how often Microsoft pulled this sort of cr@p over the years, I'd say turnabout is fair play. It's just too bad that consumers are the ones caught in the middle.
montezuma

Jan 05, 2013
8:44 PM EDT
What's the problem? Just use Bing maps and hotmail.

/toungueincheek
Fettoosh

Jan 06, 2013
12:01 AM EDT
Quoting:Google's move is understandable. Microsoft's sleazy extortion racket has forced many Android vendors to pay for Microsoft's cr@ppy software patents, so it only makes sense for Google to retaliate in some way.

Hmmm, I won't be surprised when Google stops making some of its free applications/services available on Windows in general.

BernardSwiss

Jan 06, 2013
3:57 AM EDT
Any chance this was intended as a message all along?
nmset

Jan 06, 2013
6:49 AM EDT
>when Google stops making some of its free applications/services available on Windows in general.

Yes, yes, this would freeze down MS racket and ice their butts, no doubt ! Go on Google !
gus3

Jan 06, 2013
4:59 PM EDT
@montezuma:

In free United States, Bing Maps and Hotmail use you!
jdixon

Jan 06, 2013
8:44 PM EDT
> I won't be surprised when Google stops making some of its free applications/services available on Windows in general.

I would. But I wouldn't be surprised if they stop making them available via IE and require Windows users to use Chrome to access them.
Fettoosh

Jan 07, 2013
11:59 AM EDT
Quoting:I would. But I wouldn't be surprised if they stop making them available via IE and require Windows users to use Chrome to access them.

I think that is what they have done already on the Windows Phone but backed out from according to the article. I think Google is sending a message at this time.

Quoting:The block is enforced through a simple redirect using the browser's user agent.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!