Linuxaria.com requires you to enter a CAPTCHA to read the site

Story: Introduction to Nitro, a task manager for LinuxTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 10, 2013
5:24 PM EDT
Or at least it requires ME to do so to read the link (http://linuxaria.com/recensioni/introduction-to-nitro-a-task...):

Quoting:What happened? This website is participating in a project to stop attacks and educate visitors with infected computers or mobile devices about how they can clean them up.

Why am I seeing this page? Your computer or another device on your network is compromised with a virus or malware. Criminals can use this malware to manipulate your device to send spam, process fraudulent transactions, or conceal other dangerous activities.

What should I do? Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date and run a full scan. If you do not currently use an anti-virus solution, we encourage you to consider one.

When will this restriction go away? This restriction will disappear when your computer or mobile device is cleaned and no more harmful behavior is detected. Completing the challenge above proves you are a human and gives you temporary access. You can ask the website owner to permanently whitelist you.

Sounds very scammy, if you ask me.
DrGeoffrey

Jan 10, 2013
5:38 PM EDT
Hmmm, page loaded fine for me. I run noscript and ghostery.
vainrveenr

Jan 10, 2013
7:05 PM EDT
Quoting:When will this restriction go away? This restriction will disappear when your computer or mobile device is cleaned and no more harmful behavior is detected. Completing the challenge above proves you are a human and gives you temporary access. You can ask the website owner to permanently whitelist you.
OTOH, competition tends to "make the product better" so-to-speak. The documentation and tutorials for the Emacs' Org mode task manager require NO such restrictions to view or even any hints of such restrictions.

While there is a noticeable learning-curve for becoming highly proficient in task-management using Emacs' Org mode, two non-restrictive links for learning this are::

- 'Make an open source to-do list with Emacs' linked to at LXer via http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/178592

- Org mode's 'Documentation and literature' links, found at http://orgmode.org/#docs (also includes Worg)

Nothing particularly "scammy" at all about Emacs Org mode.

BernardSwiss

Jan 10, 2013
10:01 PM EDT
It works (page loads) fine for me, too.

(I tried with Ghostery disabled, as well, and I;m not running NoScript)
djohnston

Jan 11, 2013
12:46 AM EDT
Steven,

I don't use Ghostery or NoScript. The page loaded fine for me in Firefox. However, I don't have full functionality on some web pages/sites because of my hosts file. For example, I am completely blocking Facebook. As a result, Disqus will not load on any site using it. I just see a message to the effect that Disqus is having a hard time starting.

Maybe hosts file related?

tracyanne

Jan 11, 2013
6:23 AM EDT
It works fine for me on both Linux Mint/Firefox 18/ ghostery/no script and Firefox for Android on my Galaxy Note 2 without either of those FF addons
jdixon

Jan 11, 2013
9:42 AM EDT
Guys, it gives the reason right in the message: "Your computer or another device on your network is compromised with a virus or malware.".

Now, how it supposedly knows this, I have no idea. I assume Stephen is accessing it from work and it thinks one of the work machines on his network is infected and that triggered the notice for all the machines on that network.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 11, 2013
9:57 AM EDT
Well there is but one logical explanation, our buddy Steven is using a pirated, virus ridden copy of Windows ...

Shame on this individual for such a despicable act while parading as an innocent party.

Anyway Steven we have always known you were a bot and not human. Otherwise how could one explain your writing output, which did not need to use Live DVDs to assess new distributions and their flaws.

Despite all that you are always welcome here and I will defend your presence against all. Even if it required the demise of my artificially created persona.

YBT
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 11, 2013
2:03 PM EDT
The network I'm on is loaded with Windows machines. I was using good ol' Debian and Chromium, though.

Today I went to the link and it worked without any requests for CAPTCHAs.
BernardSwiss

Jan 11, 2013
7:57 PM EDT
Would this story be a topic worthy of follow-up and a blog post?
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 12, 2013
3:31 PM EDT
I'd rather write about Xfce v. GNOME ...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!