Why? Because they can?

Story: Windows RT Jailbreak tool released, opening up the door for a Microsoft Surface homebrew communityTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
cmost

Jan 12, 2013
11:08 AM EDT
All this recent hullabaloo over this little Windows RT jailbreak is a storm in a teacup if ever I saw one. For starters, a tech savvy user has to run the exploit at every reboot. Not very practical. Secondly, since Windows RT is closed source, the only unsigned binaries that will run are open-source projects like Gimp or LibreOffice, etc. that can be readily compiled to run on Arm. Users can forget about running proprietary software. And at the end of the day, Microsoft could decide to issue an update to close the loophole thus shutting the playground down. Why would anyone go to such trouble or rely on such a precarious exploit just to run a few open apps when they could simply purchase a more open tablet like Google's Nexus and run a full-fledged open source operating system including all of the aforementioned open source apps?
Fettoosh

Jan 12, 2013
12:09 PM EDT
Quoting:Why would anyone go to such trouble or rely on such a precarious exploit just to run a few open apps when they could simply purchase a more open tablet like Google's Nexus and run a full-fledged open source operating system including all of the aforementioned open source apps?

For a user, my sentiments exactly, but for MS, it shows that no matter what it does, Windows will always remain breakable.

DrGeoffrey

Jan 12, 2013
12:48 PM EDT
I'm still hung up on the question of why any knowledgeable person would run RT.
Koriel

Jan 12, 2013
12:55 PM EDT
Just grab a nexus 7, once mine is out of warranty I will start playing around with it.

Why would anyone bother with such a closed system such as RT I have no idea.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!