help wanted

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tracyanne

Jan 13, 2013
5:22 PM EDT
I have an Internet friend who lives in Seattle, her husband is a diabetic and has lost both legs and suffers from Retinopathy. They are looking for a computer for her husband.

The main criteria are: it MUST NOT run Windows , it should preferably be inexpensive (though she is looking at a ZaReason), and it must offer good disability software, such as a Magnifier.

My friend asserts that she can handle minor technical issues, she is a Mac user, but will consider Linux. She says that she owned a Windows computer once, but Windows will never ever again enter their house.

So to get to the help, Is there anyone living in Seattle who can and would be willing to assist my friend, if I put them in contact with each other? Her major concern is that her husband would want to actually get a hands on of any prospective system. So if there is anyone who could demonstrate a suitable Linux System, this would be very useful.
jdixon

Jan 13, 2013
5:46 PM EDT
TA, it sounds like if you can't find someone, they may be better of with a Mac. They can find old but probably serviceable refurbished Macs from geeks.com. The older model desktops go for less than $300: http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=810
tracyanne

Jan 13, 2013
5:58 PM EDT
Thanks JD... I forgot to add it must be a laptop, or something like a Chromebook, which they are also considering. a small Laptop with a good bright monitor and a magnifier.
jdixon

Jan 13, 2013
6:58 PM EDT
They sell Apple laptops too, TA, at correspondingly higher prices. I don't know if any of them would be suitable or not, but they can find them at http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=608

I should add that they're not the only place that sells reburbished Macs. I know CedarPC also carries some, and I suspect places like TigerDirect do too.
helios

Jan 14, 2013
6:15 PM EDT
I will donate one from Reglue, and it will be running Linux. Give me the name and shipping address and I will have it to them in a week. It will probably be a 1.6 gig HP dual core with webcam.

email helios at fixedbylinux dott kommm
tracyanne

Jan 14, 2013
6:51 PM EDT
Thanks Ken, that is very generous of you, I've passed your message on to my friend.
helios

Jan 15, 2013
2:42 PM EDT
You bet. Am in communication via email with her now.
dinotrac

Jan 15, 2013
3:37 PM EDT
Rock stars -- Is there anything they don't know? (Homer Simpson, from Marge and the Monorail.

Ken Starks -- Is there anything he can't do?
tracyanne

Jan 15, 2013
6:01 PM EDT
Ken I've sent you a PM
caitlyn

Jan 16, 2013
10:53 AM EDT
I know I complain about some aspects of the Linux community. This is the part of the community I love, where people help each other and pull together. A huge thank you to Ken for making this happen.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!