I may go of the air for a while

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tracyanne

Jan 26, 2013
4:54 PM EDT
We are currently in the middle of a rather large cyclone, not big as cyclones are measured, but rather extensive. The east coast of Queensland from North of Bundaburge to the Gold coast has been issued with tornado warnings and several towns have already been hit. including Bagara on the coast near Bundaburg, Burrum Heads, where we regularly camp (but aren't at the moment).

We are currently flooded in, with knee deep water about a meter from the front of our bus. Many roads, including those leading out of tow, in this area (Hervey Bay) are flooded, so we're stuck here for the duration.

I'm not worried about the local flooding as we can simply strike camp and drive up the road where it's not flooding, but the winds are a bit rough. At the moment we have mains power, although several areas around here are out. We could last several day to a week on the house batteries, in the bus although hot drinks an hot food might be an issue.

It looks like, from the BOM weather radar, we will be in for more of this for the next few days to a week, my doesn't life get exciting sometimes.
telanoc

Jan 26, 2013
5:04 PM EDT
You're in our thoughts and tos-breaking prayers. Be safe!
DrGeoffrey

Jan 26, 2013
5:22 PM EDT
Sit back and enjoy the show!

Take care.
tracyanne

Jan 26, 2013
5:26 PM EDT
Thank you, while your tos breaking prayers won't make an iota of difference to the outcome of the storm, your thoughs are appreciated.
tracyanne

Jan 26, 2013
6:25 PM EDT
The water has now reached the front wheels of the bus. I had a look, and the problem is the water isn't draining into the creek fast enough. It seems where we are is still pretty cool, as many of the permanent residents of the caravan park are flooded out, being on lower ground than we are.

There was one family of campers we helped move, last night, from their water logged and wind blown tent into the camp laundry, which happens to be a good meter above the average ground level at this part of the camp.

The good thing is the camp management have just been around to access the extent of the flooding and are now implementing a disaster plan. It looks like those permanents that can move their caravans, many can't, as they have gardens and other impediments around the vans, to this part of the camp grounds.

Your tos breaking correspondent at the heart of the storm.
tracyanne

Jan 26, 2013
9:02 PM EDT
It looks like things aren't as bad as I thought for us (the worst is probably over), I've been looking at various BOM weather radar images at the 512 KM scale from Newcastle in NSW to Gladstone (north of here) in QLD, and two things are obvious, this weather system extends as far as Sydney so it covers perhaps half of the east coast of Australia, and there isn't much in the way of rain to the north of us (it's heading South), it appears to be breaking up to the North.
tracyanne

Jan 28, 2013
1:22 AM EDT
It appears that during the storm a tornado moved down the coast from Bagara (near Bundburg) to Burrum Heads, causing extreme damage to Bagara, Woodgate and Burrum Heads. The caravan park, where we usually stay was almost wiped out. The site where we normally stay has a large tree laying over where we would have parked. Police and SES officers are blocking all non essential and non resident traffic from entering Burrum Heads, there are power lines down and many houses destroyed. All this from a mini Tornado, with no where near the power of a Super Cell that normally occurs in the US.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!