People seem to forget

Story: Which Linux distro is best? Survey says: SlackwareTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
caitlyn

Feb 07, 2013
1:49 PM EDT
People seem to forget that Slackware's main support forum is on Linuxquestions.org. I'm not aware of any other distro where that's the case. Skewed results much? I seriously doubt Slackware is anywhere near as popular in terms of number of users as Mint, Ubuntu, Mageia, Fedora or openSUSE.
jdixon

Feb 07, 2013
2:48 PM EDT
> Skewed results much?

You think? It thought when I read it that the results say more about the Linux Questions readership than they do about the distros involved.

I also suspect the Slackware folks there followed the recommended practice of voting early and voting often.
notbob

Feb 07, 2013
2:49 PM EDT
caitlyn wrote:People seem to forget that Slackware's main support forum is on Linuxquestions.org.

ROFL!!.....

They have? And you have ascertained this how? I recall no poll initiated by you to determine this to be the case. It's hilarious how you jes toss out statements as if they were fact.

OK, I'll stop harassing you. I've had my morning guffaw. You can quote me on tha.... well, on something, I'm sure. ;)

jdixon

Feb 07, 2013
3:12 PM EDT
Notbot, I know you're having fun jousting with Caitlyn at the moment, but seriously.

The phrase "People seem to forget that.." quite clearly places her comment in the personal observation range, not the factual range. There are lots of things Caitlyn says that I might take issue with, but this isn't one of them.
notbob

Feb 07, 2013
5:58 PM EDT
jdixon wrote:The phrase "People seem to forget...." quite clearly places her comment in the personal observation range

It does!? Jes how does that work?

I see no "IMO" or "It seems to me...". I see the statement, "people seem to forget". I'm people and I certainly didn't forget, seemingly or any other way. I would think (note: opinion!) it common knowledge amongst longtime Slackers that LQ is primarily a Slackware oriented forum, particularly as Pat V anointed it as such, lo these many years ago. I doubt (opinion!) the ppl in LQ who voted in favor of Slackware forgot anything. It appears to me (opinion!) if anyone seems to have forgotten anything, it's Katherine Noyes, who is decidedly NOT the people.

But noooooo..... caitlyn has to make the totally misleading claim "people seem to forget". I would make the observation, I think (yet another opinion!) it unlikely Slackers have forgotten and non-Slackers probably couldn't care less. That is how an opinion is worded, not like some know-it-all journalist that states opinion like it's fact. I mean, the woman puts quote marks around her misquotes, ferchrynoutloud!

No biggie. I figure (still opinion!) y'all will manage to put a positive spin on all this and make yet another totally misleading claim about what I have or have not actually stated. Yer masters at it. Carry on. ;)
tracyanne

Feb 07, 2013
6:05 PM EDT
:: roll eyes ::
jdixon

Feb 07, 2013
6:23 PM EDT
> Jes how does that work?

The word "seems" implies a subjective impression. You know, as in "seems to me".

> Yer masters at it.

You obviously have no idea just how many subjects Caitlyn and I have disagreed about over the past few years. Slackware not being the least of them. Maybe she'll enlighten you.
notbob

Feb 07, 2013
6:44 PM EDT
jdixon wrote:The word "seems" implies a subjective impression.

Jinkies! You are correct, jd. I stand corrected. I wuz so busy flogging my thesaurus, I let my dictionary go limp. She's still hopeless in her alleged quotes, though.

Whew! Completely worn out after a long day of trolling. I think I'll (opinion!) sleep soundly, tonight. ;)

tracyanne

Feb 07, 2013
6:58 PM EDT
Quoting: I wuz so busy flogging my thesaurus,

In my opinion that's not all you've been flogging.
BernardSwiss

Feb 07, 2013
8:41 PM EDT
For what it's worth, my understanding has long been the same as Caitlyn's (they don't make any fuss about it, but they don't hide it either).

Also:
http://slackware.com/support/ wrote: We provide very limited installation support and technical support to our users through email, and only if time and resources allow. Probably the best place to turn for free support from the Slackware user community is the Slackware forum on LinuxQuestions.org:

LinuxQuestions.org - "Where newbies come for help!"

This site runs our favorite Slackware questions forum. If you have general Slackware-related questions or need help, this is a great place to join in discussions with a user community that's friendly and eager to help.

If you need more in-depth support options, you should consider a third-party technical support company.

As far as I know, this isn't really an issue, as LQ.o doesn't claim to be reporting anything beyond the preferences of it's own users/members (those that care enough to cast their votes).

Much like DistroWatch -- the numbers may be of some interest, but are not presented as a random sample nor as some sort of representative sample (unlike the practice of certain web-stat collectors): Extrapolate at your own risk.

So Caitlyn's remark could be considered not so much an opinion as simple common knowledge among those who pay attention to the matters in question. As you yourself clearly did not do any "research" yourself before taking the trouble to disparage Caitlyn's comment, you might (possibly) want to consider making an apology, or at least an acknowledgement that you were a little hasty..
slacker_mike

Feb 07, 2013
10:09 PM EDT
The fact that the article doesn't state that the LQ forums is the largest online forum for Slackware users is definitely questionable journalism. On the LQ forums the only other distributions that come close to Slackware's 434,259 forum posts are Debian with 116,037 posts and Fedora with 104,534 Posts. It is a great forum though.
jdixon

Feb 08, 2013
9:57 AM EDT
> You are correct, jd. I stand corrected.

Thank you, notbob. It's a rare enough event that I appreciate the acknowledgement. :)
caitlyn

Feb 08, 2013
4:20 PM EDT
Quoting:Maybe she'll enlighten you.
Would there be any point? Honestly?
jdixon

Feb 08, 2013
4:40 PM EDT
> Would there be any point?

Probably not.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!