More awful blog tips

Story: Ubuntu CleanupTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
HoTMetaL

Feb 12, 2013
6:33 AM EDT
So instead of installing Lubuntu and being done with it, let's install the full-on Ubuntu and then spend hours meticulously dissecting or removing operating system files, swapping desktops, furiously tapping terminal commands and reducing Ubuntu down service-by-service, to the point where it becomes.... Lubuntu.

Facepalm.
caitlyn

Feb 12, 2013
10:38 AM EDT
Yep, he just doesn't seem to know Lubuntu exists. He also recommends Ubuntu over Fedora based on this? Huh? I really don't get it.
jazz

Feb 12, 2013
12:58 PM EDT
Nope, the services described in the article are running by default on any Ubuntu variant, including Lubuntu. If you really want a lean and mean LXDE, starting from Debian is a much better idea.

I don't know what the deal with Fedora is, maybe systemd? Anyway, LXDE Fedora seems to require more memory than LXDE Ubuntu.
notbob

Feb 12, 2013
2:06 PM EDT
Yeabut! ..... I give him a thumbs up on the use of a nice chancery script image fer his blog name.
HoTMetaL

Feb 13, 2013
4:58 AM EDT
caitlyn said:
Quoting:he just doesn't seem to know Lubuntu exists.
You'd think that. But from this person's blog post:
Quoting:..."The recommended way is to install Lubuntu, but you can do much better memory-wise by just installing straight LXDE over default Unity installation."
Yeah. Wrong. There's a reason for the recommended way. And "...you can do much better memory-wise..." That little tidbit makes me rest assured this blogger tested his theory extensively. Because, you know, it's always better when you install other software right over default installations.

jazz furthered the misinformation streak:
Quoting:Nope, the services described in the article are running by default on any Ubuntu variant
Yeah. Nope. Different Ubuntu-based distros do not have the same configurations. For instance, in Xubuntu 12.04, zeitgeist, ubuntuone-syncd, whoopsie, dejadup-monitor and some others are not installed or running by default.

I agree with your opinion, however, that starting from Debian will ultimately produce the best results. "Memory-wise."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!