More importantly, does anyone care?
Fettoosh

Feb 13, 2013
10:35 AM EDT
Give it time, they will have to.

gus3

Feb 13, 2013
11:45 AM EDT
That's what the South African astronaut said. Then Google accomplished in a sprint what he was hoping for in a marathon.
dinotrac

Feb 13, 2013
12:08 PM EDT
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Please tell me it's not true.

OK, I haven't used MS Office in years. I kinda like LibreOffice, and enjoy the freedom to bring up AbiWord or Gnumeric now and then.

But it would be nice to be able to make the deliberate choice not to buy Office.
jdixon

Feb 13, 2013
12:24 PM EDT
> But it would be nice to be able to make the deliberate choice not to buy Office.

You can still do that, Dino. Just walk into Staples or Best Buy and browse the software racks for a while, look at the prices on Office, and smile as you walk away.
caitlyn

Feb 13, 2013
12:25 PM EDT
You get to make that deliberate choice now if you decide not to buy Crossover or MacOS or Windows.
cr

Feb 13, 2013
1:06 PM EDT
Still, it is nice that the Microsofties thought enough of the LibreOffice 4.0 milestone to try to cloud it with some vintage MS vaporware FUD. Just like old times.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 13, 2013
3:30 PM EDT
I am very disappointed that I will not be able to install M$ office on my Linux computers..not!
DrGeoffrey

Feb 13, 2013
7:22 PM EDT
I had the "pleasure" of attending a meeting only to watch another attendee engage in what can be best described as hand to hand combat, trying to get powerpoint to change bullets and point size.

Really MS? This attendee was not inexperienced with powerpoint. Yet the pointing and clicking continued to the point that I started audibly chuckling.

People willingly pay money to be abused by their software??? Now, that's one heckuva racket for MS.
notbob

Feb 14, 2013
11:12 AM EDT
At the rate M$ is going, looks like you won't be able to install Office on much of anything, pretty soon.

nail one foot down and shoot other foot link

Way to go, M$! Drive yer loving fans into the arms of another suite-y. ;)
jdixon

Feb 14, 2013
12:21 PM EDT
> Way to go, M$! Drive yer loving fans into the arms of another suite-y

Since Office 2013 won't work with either Vista or XP, I'd say that's not the only way they're trying.
tracyanne

Feb 14, 2013
5:53 PM EDT
@notbob, the comments on that link are enlightening.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 14, 2013
7:38 PM EDT
Google Apps is killing MS Office faster than Linux and LibreOffice ever could.
notbob

Feb 14, 2013
10:02 PM EDT
Steven wrote:Google Apps is killing MS Office faster

How does that work? Or are there "Google Apps" for the desktop, too. I ask this seriously, not having a smart phone, tablet, etc. When I think of "apps" in the contemporary usage, I think of those single function programs costing a buck or two for little touchscreen devices.
tracyanne

Feb 14, 2013
10:12 PM EDT
@notbob, you can use Google Docs on any operating system, so long as your browser is compliant... which probably means that it is Webkit based, although, as far as I know they work just fine in Firefox too, and probably IE.
notbob

Feb 15, 2013
7:36 AM EDT
Thnx, ta.

As I suspected, what I call cloudware has now become heaped in with "apps". I realize the term apps has been around much longer than pocket devs, but with the advent of the apps store, I tend to think of them in terms of silly little apps like how many times have I blinked in the last half hour or where do I buy the lowest priced roll of TP, this week, which can be called up on your fave iDev in a flash for jes a few dollars more. I think I can even buy 'em fer my pre-paid cell phone, but I don't know, as I actually use my cell phone as a phone, not a portal to life. ;)
tracyanne

Feb 15, 2013
5:18 PM EDT
I use my Mobile (cell) Phone (Sumsung Galaxy Note 2) as an ebook reader, a phone (normal telco and skype) and and a webbrowser (via Firefox, not the chrome browser that comes with it).

I also using it for making notes, there's an exccellent note taking App that allows me to scribble down notes, while it interprets my scribble and converts it to a standard font (I prefer the stylus for entering data to the on screen keyboard, especially as the phone has gotten better at interpreting my scribble).

I also have a few drum and metronome apps on it, which I'm trying out.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!