Will not Die

Story: Tablet for hackers: is the dream dead? Total Replies: 12
Author Content
Fettoosh

Feb 13, 2013
2:32 PM EDT
Tablet for hackers might stumble on road blocks here and there, but it will not die. If the Zareason tablet doesn't get revived, there will be others who will carry on.

This latest news about Vivaldi KDE open source Linux tablet gets new hardware, could launch this spring might shed some light. Watch the video.

caitlyn

Feb 13, 2013
3:12 PM EDT
The Vivaldi KDE tablet is the one that really interests me at this point.
tracyanne

Feb 13, 2013
5:28 PM EDT
I have a pre order on 2, still waiting though
Bob_Mesibov

Feb 13, 2013
5:33 PM EDT
I bought a ZaTab in New Zealand last November. I've had no wireless issues, and it seems responsive enough, but it's my first and last tablet.

Buying a tablet sounded like a good idea to me last year, so I could see whether such a device was an improvement in any way on my usual travelling companion, a HP Mini running CrunchBang. It didn't take long to see there was no improvement at all. Interacting with a tablet is painfully slow, regardless of the tablet's inherent responsiveness. The 'alternative keys' arrangements for the Android terminal emulator is hopeless. Google Earth is manageable - just.

I concluded that a tablet is a nice toy for watching video, visiting the odd website or reading brightly coloured books and magazines. None of these tasks require much in the way of interaction. When we next travel, my wife and I will be taking a Kindle and the Mini.
gary_newell

Feb 14, 2013
4:51 AM EDT
I agree Bob. Tablets are for playing games and watching youtube videos. I still don't understand why an iPad is gold dust yet the netbook died. (only to be resurrected as part tablet, part netbook)
tracyanne

Feb 14, 2013
5:01 AM EDT
Quoting:Tablets are for playing games and watching youtube videos. I still don't understand why an iPad is gold dust yet the netbook died

Maybe that's because that's how the majority of people interact with their computers
Fettoosh

Feb 14, 2013
1:24 PM EDT
Quoting:I still don't understand why an iPad is gold dust yet the netbook died. (only to be resurrected as part tablet, part netbook)

Isn't time to stop doubting the feasibility and practicality of tablets as popular devices? They are selling like hot cakes and making multiple companies richer than ever. They sure have their usefulness, usage, and merits in general with some people. They are excellent for some applications and lacking in others. They currently are still very limited for some people and in certain areas, but why can't we see their potential?

Tablets are like the transformer toys, they are adaptable to become productive devices for many. FOSS shouldn't miss on this opportunity and leave it to commercial companies.

Vivaldi harware is on the the right track. It is an aggressive project to break the tablet software and hardware monopolies and deserves the support it needs, otherwise Apple and MS will take over the market.

caitlyn

Feb 14, 2013
5:52 PM EDT
Quoting:otherwise Apple and MS will take over the market.
I'm not sure about that. Right now Android tablets have the largest market share.
notbob

Feb 14, 2013
7:19 PM EDT
Fettoosh wrote:If the Zareason tablet doesn't get revived

I read this and wondered what you mean.

Nevermind
tracyanne

Feb 14, 2013
7:22 PM EDT
Quoting: What's up?

I think that may have been the question that the article was aiming at
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 14, 2013
7:37 PM EDT
Apple has a little MacBook Air that, to my eyes, is a netbook in all ways except price. It's super small, but still $1K.
linuxwriter

Feb 15, 2013
9:57 PM EDT
The Vivaldi was announced (as the Spark) in January last year. At that time, it was said that pre-orders would be accepted in May 2012. Long wait, indeed.
jdixon

Feb 16, 2013
12:04 PM EDT
> Long wait, indeed.

Just because it won't die doesn't mean it's alive. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!