Sad, really

Story: Reasons Mesa 9.1 Is Still Disappointing For End-UsersTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
caitlyn

Feb 15, 2013
12:07 PM EDT
You know, when it comes to drivers of any sort I'd love to stick with FOSS. Really, I would. When the drivers are years behind, or offer inferior performance or, as has happened in the past, are just plain broken, how can I? I've often described those who take the RMS/FSF position as "purists" and those of us who don't as "pragmatists". What this article described re: graphics support is a good example of why.
GDStewart

Feb 15, 2013
12:47 PM EDT
caitlyn,

While there is some merit to your argument about some drivers I consider graphics card support to be a special case. These are by far the most complex devices to write drivers for easily surpassing "normal" computer programming especially when trying to wring the last bit of performance out of them. Without the full involvement of the manufacturers (well beyond just releasing the specifications, AMD) it does not surprise me that they lag so far behind. Of the three major producers AMD, Intel and Nvidia, only Intel seems to be putting much effort into this and their hardware is behind the other two. At least they seem to be putting in the effort needed to catch up there too.
caitlyn

Feb 15, 2013
1:31 PM EDT
I don't disagree with you at all. I just think that those who advocate FOSS and only FOSS have to understand why that just might not work for some people.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!