Cool

Story: Developer preview for Ubuntu Phone due this week - UpdateTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
r_a_trip

Feb 19, 2013
5:07 PM EDT
Wake me up when Canonical has managed to get it on hardware that was manufactured to carry it from the get go. For now it's like a bad case of possession in Android hardware.
JaseP

Feb 19, 2013
5:43 PM EDT
I actually prefer the idea of being able to put it on hardware that wasn't designed to support it from the beginning,... But that's just me...
r_a_trip

Feb 19, 2013
5:57 PM EDT
In a geek, yeah it runs!, kinda way this is cool. As a way to start the mobile Canonical business? Not so much. Where are the dedicated devices? Piggybacking on the Android ecosystem is not a longterm plan for success.
tracyanne

Feb 19, 2013
6:29 PM EDT
I'm just hoping bthat because it runs on any Android capable hardware that this makes it easier for OEMs to build Ubuntu based devices. Only time will tell.

I certainly don't want us facing yet another future of post purchase installs.
r_a_trip

Feb 19, 2013
7:44 PM EDT
Hear, hear. Without dedicated, Ubuntu branded devices, this software is dead in the water.
CFWhitman

Feb 19, 2013
11:54 PM EDT
They've said since the first announcement that Ubuntu branded phones won't come till later in the year. I think we should at least wait till they're late before complaining about them not arriving.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 20, 2013
1:16 AM EDT
Yep, when there's a device out there in the store, that'll be the time to say "yeah." Before that, it's "meh."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!