On board?

Story: Ubuntu on tablets: Who’s on board?Total Replies: 9
Author Content
caitlyn

Feb 21, 2013
10:44 AM EDT
I don't make decisions based on demos or vaporware. Let me play with one and then I'll let you know if I'm on board. So far I'm still more excited by Vivaldi but I certainly wouldn't rule out Ubuntu/Unity.
nmset

Feb 21, 2013
1:00 PM EDT
It would make sense for me if it's hackable, i.e, if we can completely replace the root image as we do on a desktop PC, and as we can do on the PengPod device, not necessarily with another distro. If it's just to look at a beautiful device with beautiful icons and accessing stuff like videos and so called social services, I don't care. I want to do work with it, For example, I want to be able to install a full fledged Apache OpenOffice on it, install printers and do real work. That would be helpful. The PengPod I just received lets me do that, it's a real Desktop PC in my pocket. We can criticize that device for lacking one critical feature which is Suspend/Resume, and to be difficult to boot at times. But I'm confident the company behind it in Florida may propose better devices in a near future. It's the only tablet I know with a full Linux Desktop in your pocket. If Canonical can do same or better, I'll buy one, yes.
Fettoosh

Feb 21, 2013
1:23 PM EDT
@nmset,

Then you want distro like Kubuntu as demosteated here

or Kubuntu updated

or KDE Plasma Active

nmset

Feb 21, 2013
2:45 PM EDT
I tried Plasma Active 2 on the PengPod from the linaro repos. It was quite disappointing. It is as heavy as Plasma Desktop and Plasma Netbook, it still requires a lot of resources and becomes quickly unresponsive. It's for multicore devices with _at_least_ 2 GB RAM. The UI is not what suits me neither, great for popular usage, no really to do work. Plasma Netbook should be more suitable as a traditional desktop on a high-end tablet. Now Plasma Active 3 and the coming Plasma Active 4 need to be evaluated.
Jeff91

Feb 21, 2013
3:30 PM EDT
@nmset how "hack able" a given device is really depends 100% on the hardware powering it and not on the operating system.

The reason the Pengpod is such a great device is because the A10 chipset that powers it is fairly Linux friendly (unlike most ARM hardware to date). I've done some work with Bodhi on the A10 based MK802 - I really need to get my hands on one of the tablets so I can do some porting. E17 runs well on the MK802 though, so I'd assume it would work fine on the Pengpod as well.

~Jeff
tracyanne

Feb 21, 2013
5:27 PM EDT
I have a pre order on the vivaldi, for 2. I also very excited about the Ubuntu phone, and it it arrives first, I will have to seriously consider cutting my losses and getting it.
gary_newell

Feb 21, 2013
5:53 PM EDT
Ubuntu phone might be my next phone when it is time to upgrade.

I've never been excited by tablets. For me they are just glorified youtube players. give me a keyboard and mouse any day.
caitlyn

Feb 21, 2013
5:59 PM EDT
Quoting:I've never been excited by tablets. For me they are just glorified youtube players
Oh, come on! They are perfectly good for playing avi and mp4 files too! :)
jdixon

Feb 21, 2013
6:16 PM EDT
> Oh, come on! They are perfectly good for playing avi and mp4 files too! :)

And playing Angry Birds, from what I've heard. :)
tracyanne

Feb 21, 2013
6:19 PM EDT
I don't play games, nor do I watch youtube, or watch movies on my Galaxy Note. I read, I write (using the stylus) I surf the news channels, including lxer, I also use it for it's primary purpose, as a mobile phone.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!