I don't have a smart phone....but......

Story: Mozilla Unlocks the Power of the Web on Mobile with Firefox OSTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
Ridcully

Feb 25, 2013
2:57 AM EDT
....This is one that could really, really tempt me. I have always strongly supported FireFox and the idea that it runs on HTML5 for all its apps is very, very appealing. But I always look at things too simplistically, so let wiser heads comment on this one please, because I'd like to learn more than the contents of the article.
caitlyn

Feb 25, 2013
11:44 AM EDT
I'm waiting on my provider to get Blackberry 10. They have the best security, they now are very feature rich, and with the company's future suddenly looking good with the US government contract I see no reason not to stick with them.
Jeff91

Feb 25, 2013
12:04 PM EDT
The mobile world should become interesting at least for a short while once we get Tizen/Firefox/Ubuntu mobiles all into the market... I wonder which will get to consumers first.

~Jeff
caitlyn

Feb 25, 2013
1:10 PM EDT
If they don't have the apps to compete with Android, iPhone and Blackberry they'll be DOA. First to market doesn't matter much if they don't have the apps consumers want. Angry Birds, anyone?
dinotrac

Feb 25, 2013
1:48 PM EDT
@caitlyn --

The question is -- what apps do consumers want?

As in free software land, the majority of apps in the app stores cr@pware and/or unloved.

A corporate parent with a little bit of love to spread could help to insure that a core of apps is available and not worry about the rest.
Jeff91

Feb 25, 2013
1:58 PM EDT
I honestly think we are going to see more and more "Apps" moving to simply being web applications.

Pretty much all these modern mobile operating systems render current web standards fairly well - so creating a "touch" friendly mobile application that is powered by web technologies would easily be portable to all these different mobile platforms.

In fact I know a couple of android applications that are basically just launchers for the companies well done mobile website.

~Jeff
dinotrac

Feb 25, 2013
3:36 PM EDT
@jeff91 --

I think you're right. Some things will always work better as local apps, but the current browsers give an awful lot of power -- including access to the GPS.

And -- the most commonly used app on most smart phones is: The web browser!
Ridcully

Feb 25, 2013
5:07 PM EDT
Given Dinotrac's statement above on the most used app being the web browser, then I'd say that the FFox smart phone at least has it's hat in the ring. TA hasn't commented yet, but she may know more about costs of using smart phones on the web here in Australia. I have always shied away from them or even using my present "non-smart" mobile phone on the internet due to what I believe are almost exploding prices charged by the service providers. Again, costs are an area about which I know little, purely because I have never bothered with internet access via a smart phone.
tracyanne

Feb 25, 2013
6:58 PM EDT
I've commented on the FirefoxOS or Firefox Phone before. Where i stated that i thought it was a good idea, as it had the potential to enable a lot of Free Software web applications to run, and that it would bve quite easy for any person capable of writing web applications to create and host their own applications, for personal or shared use.

on the other hand, after some thought, I can see that it would be possible to make the Firefox phone a very locked down device, using similar methods tio those used by Apple, to lock people out of "un approved" web sites. For technically minded people these blocks would probably be fairly easy to circumvent, but it is not technically minded people the blocks are aimed at (that's who laws like the DCMA are aimed at).

Having said that, I like the idea of the Firefox phone. On balance I think it brings more freedom to people than not.

As for how I use my device, and what applications I want. My needs, wants are very limited in this sphere.

I bought the device because it has writing recognition software, it's the Galaxy Note, so I can simply make notes on it the same way I would in a paper notebook, nor that it has learned my hand writing I can write with the stylus much faster than one can type on the virtual keyboard. I use it to write down ideas for songs, quick and dirty chord charts, lists, short story ideas, and other notes to self. I use the web browser, I installed firefox for Android, I installed an ereader (I share the books across all my current devices, I've found a couple of word games that don't spam you with advertising (they are also FOSS, GNU GPL). I installed a SIP phone and Skype (I have people I can only contact by phone, expensive, or Skype, cheap). I also install the WebUpd8 App (i'm sure that will make our resident Webupd8 person happy, what won't is that I don't find it any more useful than Firefox, as i usually have the webupd8 article before it comes through on the app)

So here's a list of what i find useful

the preinstalled Samsung SNote app

Firefox

the Camera and photo gallery

the Preinstalled Google Maps App (although I have used Open Maps on the browser and think it is more accurate, it definitely shows roads in my area that Google Maps doesn't - a big thanks to ordinary people who went to the trouble of making sure those roads where included in Open Maps)

The Clock App, showing local time and an arbitrary time (currently Seattle, as I'm Help desking a friend in Seattle)

A metronome App

and two word games

The phone, of course, and the Contacts

What I don't use, and have turned off is GPS, I don't find it particularly accurate or useful (probably more accurate than Apples, if news reports are to be believed). I get directions to where I want to go better just by calling up a map and reading it, especially out in the bush, where we spend most of our time.

That's about it, If I haven't mentioned it, it's probably not important to me.

I'm probably not a typical user.

Oh there is one other thing I use more than anything, the tethering function. With unlimited Wireless Broadband, I tether my computers to my phone almost exclusively.

I'm typing with a band aid on my right thumb, so typos will be worse than usual

tracyanne

Feb 25, 2013
7:00 PM EDT
As a PS to the above

I think the Ubuntu Phone is way more exciting than the Firefox Phone.

One other issue I have with the Firefox Phone is that I won't be able to share my ebooks with that device, and my other devices.
Jeff91

Feb 26, 2013
10:04 AM EDT
I think at the moment they are all fairly vaporware. Lets get consumer devices before we cast any judgement...

~Jeff
caitlyn

Feb 26, 2013
10:58 AM EDT
I agree with Jeff91's vaporware comment.

Tracyanne's comment about not being a typical user makes me wonder if there is any such thing as a "typical user". For example, right now I am using a bunch of Hebrew language apps, some of which are clealy web based but a couple may not be. I'm trying to improve my Hebrew language skills. That certainly isn't typical but considering the fairly wide variety of apps, from news sites of all sorts to language tutorial software there must be some demand. I also use audio streaming services both for Israeli media and in general when I drive off into the boonies.

Unlike tracyanne I definitely use my phone as a GPS. This was really important right after I moved when my knowledge of the area was very limited. I still use it, just not as much.

I use my weather app every single day. News apps are important to me as well.

I don't play games at all.

Typical? I doubt it. The point I'm making is that even though I have specialized interests my Blackberry has all the apps I need. So does an iPhone. So does an Android phone. I'm not so sure a Tizen phone or an Ubuntu phone or a Firefox phone will. Oh, and I also agree with ta: the Ubuntu phone is the most interesting and, IMHO, has the most potential.
Fettoosh

Feb 26, 2013
11:37 AM EDT
Quoting:I'm not so sure a Tizen phone or an Ubuntu phone or a Firefox phone will.

If it is done before, it is easy to be done again. So what is your reason for not being sure?

caitlyn

Feb 26, 2013
12:21 PM EDT
Someone has to want to write the apps or else a significant investment in commercially developed apps has to be made. Canonical can do the latter, I suppose. The others? Where is the effort go9ng to come from for vaporware phones that may never capture any market share?
CFWhitman

Feb 26, 2013
12:40 PM EDT
Each of these operating systems now has some degree of pledged commercial support. It's really hard to say whether any will be able to gain any traction. So much goes into it: ease of app development, user appeal, target price, etc., etc. If apps are easier to develop, then they can multiply quickly, but even that doesn't mean they necessarily will. If nobody wants to use the interface, for example, or it doesn't get enough exposure, apps won't be developed even if they are very easy to develop.
Fettoosh

Feb 26, 2013
3:11 PM EDT
The Device OS is basically Ubuntu Linux, so most, if not all, of FOSS apps could be adapted to touch interface and made available on this platform. Think LO, and other office apps. That alone is a huge boon that many users can appreciate and could benefit from.

I guess there is still hope and potential for Ubuntu touch and I wouldn't count it out just yet. Of course it might get tougher if others did the same.

Steven_Rosenber

Feb 26, 2013
6:05 PM EDT
Quoting:I think at the moment they are all fairly vaporware. Lets get consumer devices before we cast any judgement...

~Jeff

You said it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!