No link or are there only 2 lines?

Story: New DistroRank daily user survey rankings addedTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
caitlyn

Feb 26, 2013
11:03 AM EDT
If there are only two lines, is this a news story or a teaser to come visit their site?
jdixon

Feb 26, 2013
11:39 AM EDT
I'd say the latter, even if it is considered a news story. He really should include a link, in any case.

And it seems the Slackware community has been voting early and often again. :)

I did take his survey and noted that I used Slackware, but that was several weeks ago now and I only did so once. Falsely inflating Slackware's popularity seems pointless to me.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 26, 2013
11:46 AM EDT
The person posting is forgetting to put in the link. I popped the link in there.
caitlyn

Feb 26, 2013
12:20 PM EDT
Slackware is one third of the Linux community? Not a chance. jdixon is right: it's falsely inflating the numbers and just reinforces my feelings about the delusional nature of a significantly loud portion of the Slackware community.
jdixon

Feb 26, 2013
1:09 PM EDT
> Not a chance.

Right. It's a pointless manipulation of the system. It they keep it up he'll have to discontinue using that input.

Slackware still is, and probably will be for some time, one of the top 15 or so Linux distros out there, It may even be in the top 10, but that's about the best case you can make. It's almost certainly not top 5.
telanoc

Feb 26, 2013
2:36 PM EDT
I've got Slackware on my main desktop (and have for years) but I didn't vote for it. I voted for CentOS because that's what I have more of.

I haven't bothered to look, but I wonder if someone mentioned Distrorank somewhere on linuxquestions.org or one of the other places slackers hang out.

(edited... -rank, not -watch)
jdixon

Feb 26, 2013
2:51 PM EDT
> ... but I wonder if someone mentioned Distrorank somewhere on linuxquestions.org or one of the other places slackers hang out.

There are a handful of Slackware users who hang out here. :)
tracyanne

Feb 26, 2013
5:03 PM EDT
I couldn't find a link to the 'article' or even daily rankings on his site.
jdixon

Feb 26, 2013
5:41 PM EDT
> ...or even daily rankings on his site.

http://distrorank.com/user_rankings.txt

It's at the bottom of the right hand column.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 26, 2013
6:04 PM EDT
I find his overall statistics interesting, but I'm wholly uninterested in self-reporting user rankings. They are useless.
tracyanne

Feb 26, 2013
8:11 PM EDT
@JD, yes I saw the link, and ignored it, because it lead to a text file, assuming that couldn't be it, I was looking for a page, like his other rankings page
telanoc

Feb 26, 2013
8:19 PM EDT
@jdixon: Yeah, we seem to have a presence here. I think it's because LXer kinda sorta sounds like 'slacker' if you squint your ears. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!