How long will it be before innocent people get emails

Story: The Copyright Alert System: How the New “Six Strikes” Anti-Piracy Program WorksTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
gary_newell

Feb 27, 2013
4:28 AM EDT
torrents are often used for the distribution of legal software as well as copyrighted software.

How long will it be before someone downloads Linux Mint using bittorrent only to receive a violation of copyright notice just because they used the bittorrent software as a method of downloading the software.

It has been reported that you can appeal a decision but when the ISP is the judge, jury and executioner what will obviously happen is that users on long contracts will suddenly get their bandwidth throttled, be forced to continue paying their contracted payment and basically raped of their service with no course for redress.

Make a decent legal service and the majority will use it. Those that won't use it will never use it and will never pay for the content they download.

What the major film and tv companies don't realise is that it is really annoying seeing US citizens receiving programs weeks in advance of us in the UK or movies are released so much earlier. By the time we get to watch the programmes and films there is no surprise anymore because the plot has been all over the internet.

I used to download music when I was a student (many years ago and it was over a 56k modem). However quite often I would download a few tracks and then go to the shop and buy the album or it would inspire me to go and see the band live. Without those downloads there are many albums in my collection that I would never have bought.

I have never downloaded movies because I live in the country and the download speeds are shocking but to be honest the quality of films in recent years has also been shockingly poor that I am usually prepared to wait for them to come on tv before watching them.

Make a good product and a good service and people will pay. There will always be the criminal element not willing to pay but you shouldn't use napalm to kill a fly.
caitlyn

Feb 27, 2013
10:55 AM EDT
Quoting:How long will it be before someone downloads Linux Mint using bittorrent only to receive a violation of copyright notice just because they used the bittorrent software as a method of downloading the software.

It has been reported that you can appeal a decision but when the ISP is the judge, jury and executioner what will obviously happen is that users on long contracts will suddenly get their bandwidth throttled,
These are the same issues I raised yesterday. In addition, it costs $35 just to file an appeal and there is no independent review outside of the ISP AFAICT.

There are workarounds for the technically astute, such as VPNs and proxies that will mask the real IP address. In addition, people who use private trackers to download copyrighted material shouldn't be affected at all if this works as has been reported. OTOH, how long before an ISP decides all bittorrent activity is problematic? I see this punishing the clueless and the innocent while those who really want to pirate stuff will continue as is nothing happened.
jdixon

Feb 27, 2013
10:59 AM EDT
> How long will it be before someone downloads Linux Mint using bittorrent only to receive a violation of copyright notice just because they used the bittorrent software as a method of downloading the software.

I'd give it a month at the outside.
caitlyn

Feb 27, 2013
11:07 AM EDT
I'm not sure it will take anywhere near that long. Where are the protests? Where is the outcry? Where is the EFF on this?
Bob_Robertson

Feb 27, 2013
11:54 AM EDT
> Where are the protests? Where is the outcry?

Exhaustion sets in, and the polypragmatoi insinuate themselves in because they are relentless. Same way the Irish "ratified" the treaty to join the EU. Vote after vote, year after year, all "No", until finally the people voting "No" gave up.

> Where is the EFF on this?

[url=https://www.eff.org/search/site/six strikes]https://www.eff.org/search/site/six strikes[/url]
caitlyn

Feb 27, 2013
3:41 PM EDT
Nothing from EFF in more than six weeks, no outcry that is just went live. I'm not impressed.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 27, 2013
4:04 PM EDT
Almost like we don't have Aaron Schwartz any more.
djohnston

Feb 27, 2013
6:19 PM EDT
Quoting:There will always be the criminal element not willing to pay but you shouldn't use napalm to kill a fly.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like ... victory. (Robert Duvall said that.)
tuxchick

Feb 28, 2013
2:00 AM EDT
Quoting: Where is the EFF on this?

February 25, 2013 | By Corynne McSherry The Copyright Propaganda Machine Gets a New Agent: Your ISP

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/copyright-propaganda-m...

"It’s been a long time coming, but the copyright surveillance machine known as the Copyright Alert System (CAS) is finally launching. CAS is an agreement between Big Content and large Internet Service Providers to monitor peer to peer networks for copyright infringement and target subscribers who are alleged to infringe—via everything from from “educational” alerts to throttling Internet speeds."
Bob_Robertson

Feb 28, 2013
9:45 AM EDT
I've always wondered when the ISPs will cross the legal "line in the sand", and no longer qualify as "common carriers", immune from the legal ramifications of what crosses their networks.

Once the service providers are monitoring the actual content of the packets, they can no longer claim innocence for that content.

Maybe it just took this long because they were getting their paid legislators in a row and ensuring the legal immunity was in place before taking the money from the MPAA/RIAA and delivering everything to the NSA at the same time.
caitlyn

Feb 28, 2013
11:15 AM EDT
Thanks, tuxchick. That was somehow missing from the earlier link. I'm glad they are taking a strong stand. Now, how do we get the tech media to report the EFF position?
Bob_Robertson

Feb 28, 2013
3:36 PM EDT
Has anyone submitted the EFF piece as an article here?
caitlyn

Feb 28, 2013
4:28 PM EDT
Yes, Bob, I have.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 28, 2013
4:57 PM EDT
Ah. Well then, I hope they reject my submission. Hate to duplicate efforts.
caitlyn

Feb 28, 2013
4:59 PM EDT
Unless you submitted before me. Then mine should go :) I really don't care if you get credit. I just want this to raise the ire of people and get some outcry and complaining going on a decent scale, as in enough to change things.
BernardSwiss

Feb 28, 2013
8:55 PM EDT
Wah!? What!?

Wait a minute! We're keeping score -- Why didn't somebody tell me?

{sigh} I'll never catch up, now.
distrorank

Mar 01, 2013
5:01 PM EDT
Wow. Reading tuxchick's post about "educational" alerts really reminds me of 1984. I'm no tinfoil hat wearing person, but... this is scary stuff.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 01, 2013
5:38 PM EDT
> I'm no tinfoil hat wearing person, but... this is scary stuff.

I've been accused of being just such a person, but then the black helicopters were caught on film and people stopped laughing.

Anyway, I agree. CISPA may very well be worse than SOPA and PIPA because it's going through with much less notice.
jdixon

Mar 01, 2013
5:52 PM EDT
> CISPA may very well be worse than SOPA and PIPA because it's going through with much less notice.

Well, the government isn't directly involved. This is supposedly directly between the various recording agencies and the ISP's. Of course, if you believe that I have a bridge for you, but...

The main problem is that, without the government involved, there is no presumption of innocence or due process involved. Of course, when an innocent person gets accused and their account shut down, a good lawyer could make an excellent living off the proceeds from a class action lawsuit, so it may be self correcting problem.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!