The Germans have got this right

Story: German companies still often reject BYODTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

Feb 27, 2013
11:10 AM EDT
BYOD is a security nightmare. Companies that encourage it are being penny wise and dollar stupid. The chances of a security issue biting them in the you-know-what and costing them serious downtime and money increase exponentially when you allow foreign devices you don't and can't manage on your network. Assuming that non-technical users will keep their systems free of malware is self-defeating and potentially disastrous.
jdixon

Feb 27, 2013
12:28 PM EDT
> Companies that encourage it are being penny wise and dollar stupid.

Well, that describes most of the companies I've worked with and for, so I expect it to be widely implemented.

Of course, the company I currently work for demands that people supply their own cell phones (they are reimbursed a portion of the cost), but won't let them be connected to the corporate network. So in effect, they're also demanding bring your own network.
CFWhitman

Feb 27, 2013
1:30 PM EDT
At the company where I work devices that you bring aren't allowed to access the domain. Phones and tablets will be allowed access to email via Outlook Web Access, and that's about it. Outside vendors are given wired Internet access on laptops if they want it, but they are generally not allowed on the wireless network.
caitlyn

Feb 27, 2013
3:37 PM EDT
We don't allow foreign devices where I work, period, no exceptions. That includes vendors. Security isn't perfect but it's pretty decent around here.
djohnston

Feb 27, 2013
6:13 PM EDT
Those Germans have got to get on board with the trendy acronyms. Before you know it, they'll be dis'ing such respected terms as "big data" and "the cloud".

It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham. (Woody Allen said that.)
DrGeoffrey

Feb 27, 2013
8:32 PM EDT
BYOD may be a security nightmare, but without it I would not be able to avoid Windows and run Linux.

'Nuff said.
caitlyn

Feb 28, 2013
11:52 AM EDT
Quoting:BYOD may be a security nightmare, but without it I would not be able to avoid Windows and run Linux.

'Nuff said.
Nope. Not "'nuff said". OS policies are a separate matter. Your company's Windows-only attitude actually hurts them in terms of security. BYOD hurts them more. Sure, from your single user self-centered perspective your needs trump enterprise security. It's still the wrong policy from a business perspective.

FWIW, the good news here is that Linux has been growing on the corporate/enterprise desktop rapidly over the past year or two. Where I work I'm preparing (server/cluster side) for a major rollout.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!