Dusty memories and expensive disks

Story: Every Install Should Be MinimalTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Mar 01, 2013
9:59 AM EDT
One of my favorite Linux memories is using the Debian "Bootable Business Card" image, but with the ethernet cable disconnected. It would warn about not having any repositories from which to fetch, but continue anyway, and build a seriously minimalistic install.

I also looked into Linux From Scratch once. That's the kind of thing I would gladly do as an experiment, or homeschooling project, if I had the time and wanted to do it in VirtualBox.

I don't think it's any surprise that the more experience a Linux user has, the more control they want over their system.

That doesn't mean always minimalistic, however. There is a great deal of benefit of having a default install that "just works", has the things I want without my having to remember to put them in first.

caitlyn

Mar 01, 2013
10:23 AM EDT
Once upon a time Red Hat had business card CDs as well. Then there is Damn Small Linux... FWIW, IIRC Scientific Linux also has a minimal build.

As far as the idea of all installs being minimal, I disagree. Minimal is great for servers and experienced users. Nothing about Linux is one size fits all and installation images shouldn't be either.
tuppp

Mar 01, 2013
2:28 PM EDT
Try Tiny Core Linux.
caitlyn

Mar 01, 2013
5:38 PM EDT
I have. Tiny Core is interesting but not terribly useful in the real world.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 01, 2013
5:50 PM EDT
You do the Debian "standard" install w/o desktop and that's pretty minimal, right?
Bob_Robertson

Mar 01, 2013
5:57 PM EDT
Steven, it's about as minimal as a "standard distribution" install can be, I agree. Just un-check "graphical desktop" and that eliminates a ton of stuff.

The dependencies are not absolutely perfect, though, so putting in the GUI afterwords can take a couple of iterations to get everything. Or at least it has been in the past. Every Debian cycle makes things easier.

tuppp

Mar 01, 2013
7:19 PM EDT
@caitlyn

Sorry to hear that you do not find Tiny Core useful.

Nevertheless, there are plenty of folks who do find a such minimal distro invaluable, and, after all, the subject in question directly involves minimal distros. A default Tiny Core intall is only 12MB with a GUI. I understand that Tiny Core is the smallest Linux distro with a modern kernel.

Of course, just like any other distro, one can add almost any packages to a Tiny Core install.
BernardSwiss

Mar 01, 2013
9:14 PM EDT
{sniff}

If it doesn't fit on a floppy, how can you call it "minimal".

:P
tuxchick

Mar 02, 2013
12:57 AM EDT
Pah. In my day we fit entire distros on fingernail slivers. Kids these days dunno nuthin.
gus3

Mar 03, 2013
12:57 PM EDT
Tiny Core used to "run as root" all the time. If that's still the case, it's still a show-stopper for me.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 03, 2013
8:56 PM EDT
I'm pretty sure Tiny Core creates a user account that is not root. You start the system as user tc, and it looks like this is a password-less login. But you can add a password if you wish: http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:passwd
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 03, 2013
11:26 PM EDT
My first install was from a 5 CD set out of a Fedora Core 3 book I found.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!