On Bodhi...

Story: LibreOffice 4.0 Installation Instructions for Ubuntu 12.10Total Replies: 7
Author Content
Jeff91

Mar 07, 2013
12:53 PM EDT
You just run the system updates and you will get upgraded to LibreOffice 4.0 :)

I really hope Ubuntu moves to some type of semi-rolling release with 14.04 (I heard some buzz of this awhile back). End users often need/want current software and reinstalling their operating system every 6 months is a non-option.

~Jeff
Fettoosh

Mar 07, 2013
1:39 PM EDT
Quoting:End users often need/want current software and reinstalling their operating system every 6 months is a non-option.

@Jeff,

I run Kubuntu and since 8.04 and on, I haven't had the need to re-install and always had the option to upgrade. Apps are a different story but usually have deb files of binaries available from developers.

Yes, it would be nice to have a complete semi-rolling release to include apps.

Jeff91

Mar 07, 2013
2:55 PM EDT
@Fettoosh

As a developer I can tell you simply responding with "works for me" to an issue doesn't work generally.

Check the Ubuntu forums after each of their releases - they are generally littered with issues caused from upgrades between their releases. I myself had them break a number of my installs before I moved onto other things of my own making.

Sure it works sometimes, but it is not consistent across all systems.

~Jeff
Fettoosh

Mar 07, 2013
3:35 PM EDT
Quoting:Sure it works sometimes, but it is not consistent across all systems.

That is true, but I always was able to fix the issues. From what I hear, rolling releases are not immune either.

Jeff91

Mar 07, 2013
4:10 PM EDT
Yep. That is why I'm a fan of "semi rolling" systems we've seen becoming more common. Which means keep your core libraries as stable/the same as possible while continuing to roll out updates to user applications.

~Jeff
tracyanne

Mar 07, 2013
5:12 PM EDT
As a Linux Mint user, my solution is to use the LTS release and install PPAs for all the software I use, that way I get the latest version within a few days to a week, in most cases.
Jeff91

Mar 07, 2013
6:06 PM EDT
@Tracyanne it is no secret that I am not a fan of the PPA system. Using PPAs is honestly about as safe/as sane as how most people get software on Windows from a million different sources.

It defeats the purpose of getting your software from a secure source (your distro provider).

Still FOSS is all about choice - so folks are free to use what they will. I just doubt that most users know they should be REVIEWING what software is coming from PPAs before adding them. Beyond that the software in that PPA can easily change after the PPA has been added to a system.

Beyond that, even if all the software in all your PPAs are safe/stable there are zero promises of multiple PPAs not conflicting with each other.

~Jeff
tracyanne

Mar 07, 2013
6:22 PM EDT
Quoting:Beyond that, even if all the software in all your PPAs are safe/stable there are zero promises of multiple PPAs not conflicting with each other.

Indeed : been there done that

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!