Oops (:

Story: OpenSUSE 12.3 Out Now Total Replies: 5
Author Content
joel

Mar 13, 2013
5:49 PM EDT
Chakra has been using MariaDB since the release of Chakra-2013.02-Benz ISO on 10 Feb 2013. Furthermore, I seem to recall that they were not the first, either.

Not slamming openSuse. Tried 12.2 on Carla's recommendation, and liked it very much. So much, that I am anxiously awaiting the opportunity to download 12.3 as soon as the traffic abates somewhat.
Ridcully

Mar 13, 2013
6:01 PM EDT
I'm looking forward very much to dropping this version onto a hdd and giving it a spin.

On another matter though, this is yet another "FOSS project" that has hit the "dead hand" of Oracle. We have Java, OO and now MySQL.....at least as I understand things. I cannot help but ask of Oracle: "Is this deliberate, or is it sheer stupidity, or a complete unwillingness on the part of its CEO to understand how FOSS development operates ?"

Or am I missing something obvious to everyone else ?
gus3

Mar 13, 2013
6:49 PM EDT
Isn't btrfs an Oracle-backed and -managed project?
jdixon

Mar 13, 2013
7:22 PM EDT
> I cannot help but ask of Oracle: "Is this deliberate, or is it sheer stupidity, or a complete unwillingness on the part of its CEO to understand how FOSS development operates ?"

I'd have to say equal parts of all three.
Ridcully

Mar 13, 2013
9:12 PM EDT
Yes, you appear to be quite right Gus3, according to this websearch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

One would have to say though, that a rate of 1 out of 4 does show a discouraging trend.
gus3

Mar 14, 2013
4:09 PM EDT
I think the phrase is "damming [sic] with faint praise".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!