Time for the inevitable automotive analogy

Story: With so much fragmenting, Is Android still a single OS?Total Replies: 5
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Mar 18, 2013
6:17 PM EDT
Automobiles are fragmented:

*) Some have the selector as a center-line gearshift, others use a lever on the steering column -- and some are even implement gear selection as push-buttons on the dash-board.

*) The parking-brake might be a centerline lever (on the right), or a pull-handle tucked under the dash (om the left). Releases vary widely.

*) High-bean selector might be a hand-operated, integrated into the turn-signal steering-column lever, or a foot-operated push-button on the floor.

*) Windshield-wiper controls might be integrated into the turn-signal lever as well, might be swapped with the high-beam control on the lever, or on the dash.

*) Does re-fuelling require one to pull in to the pump on the right (passenger-side) or the left (driver-side) (or does it not matter, because the fill-cap is at the rear, rather than one side or the other -- so the important thing is stop further forward)?

*) Don't get me started about seat-belts; How, exactly, does *this* one work, again?

The list goes on... Pretty soon now, people will stop buying cars, entirely, because the gas-powered automobile industry is just too fragmented.

What ever do you mean, I'm being stupid, No, I don't know what "tendentious" means. Creating imaginary problems? ... Hey, I'm just laying out the simple facts, here...
tracyanne

Mar 18, 2013
6:43 PM EDT
That was a pretty silly article. One has to wonder though who it was aimed at and what affect is desired.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 18, 2013
8:53 PM EDT
If Android apps run on it, it's Android.
CFWhitman

Mar 19, 2013
8:17 AM EDT
I used to run BB4Win (BlackBox for Windows) instead of Windows Explorer on my XP box at work. Did that mean I was using a different operating system? I was pretty sure it was still Windows.
Jeff91

Mar 19, 2013
9:36 AM EDT
@Steven I'm going to play devil's advocate here and mention that I'm running some .exe files on my Linux system :)

Doesn't mean it is Windows.

~Jeff
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 19, 2013
11:56 AM EDT
Maybe we can use the distro analogy and say there are different Android-based distributions out there.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!