A whole lot of nothing said...

Story: As interconnected devices abound, security risks growTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
JaseP

Apr 02, 2013
9:15 AM EDT
A whole lot of nothing was said in this article. Basically, people fear the "interwebs" because there are more interconnected devices,... OK?!?! Are their fears well founded?! ... No details. Have there been well publicized examples?! No details. Nothing but a survey was referenced, essentially.

It's been my experience that the most secure devices have been the embedded devices, because the vast majority of them cannot be easily re-flashed with cracked/infected firmware... But that's just me... But it seems to me that if the approach is to continue to make it difficult to access the firmware,... that ought to be a good approach.
gus3

Apr 02, 2013
11:57 AM EDT
But would you use a wireless-accessible pacemaker?

IOW, bet your life? Literally?
notbob

Apr 02, 2013
12:32 PM EDT
JaseP wrote:It's been my experience that the most secure devices have been the embedded devices,

Define embedded devices.

A cell phone qualifies as an embedded device and they are wide open to security exploits. Recall all the whining and whimpering that went on for weeks after Mat Honan at Wired.com suffered his "epic hack" cuz all his "devices" were exploited and his life was destroyed. I figured it was all sensationalist horsecrap, but the fact remains. Too many embedded devices ARE accessible and too many ARE interconnected and "interwebs" should rightfully be feared or at least respected for what the really are, which is a means of access.
JaseP

Apr 02, 2013
1:20 PM EDT
Honan's problem was not an embedded device,... His Google password had been hacked. He had failed to set up two step authentication, and his attackers were able to get into his other accounts from their links into to Google account.
notbob

Apr 02, 2013
4:23 PM EDT
"....hackers used it to remotely erase all of the data on my iPhone....."

*sigh* Argue with Mat about whether not he thought it was a "problem".

JaseP

Apr 02, 2013
4:28 PM EDT
It was his account, not his phone that was compromised. I'm betting his phone's OS was 100% intact (meaning = no malware, no over-written OS code)... Apple account settings and their servers are where the rubber failed to meet the road, I'm betting... No amount of device security is going to help you once attackers have your account information.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!