tl/dr version of this article

Story: A Memory Comparison of Light Linux Desktops – Part 2Total Replies: 9
Author Content
Jeff91

Apr 11, 2013
9:17 AM EDT
Can be found in this image here:

http://l3net.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/cmp-all1.png?w=625&...

If I said I was surprised by KDE being the fattest I'd be lieing...

~Jeff
jacog

Apr 11, 2013
9:55 AM EDT
Sure Jeff - but I still prefer KDE over all others.
slacker_mike

Apr 11, 2013
10:17 AM EDT
Look at how much fatter E17 is compared to dwm, that just seems needlessly excessive.
Jeff91

Apr 11, 2013
10:46 AM EDT
@Slacker_Mike E17 is the lightest of the full desktops though. Everything lighter than it are simply Window Managers.

~Jeff
jdixon

Apr 11, 2013
11:11 AM EDT
The only real surprise is that LXDE is almost as low in memory usage as E17. But I expect the figures for XFCE are with either the gnome or KDE services turned on.
Jeff91

Apr 11, 2013
11:18 AM EDT
The LXDE stat doesn't really surprise me, it always performs about on par with E17 from my experience.

~Jeff
CFWhitman

Apr 11, 2013
12:47 PM EDT
It's really not too surprising that I have found XFCE to be about as heavy a desktop as I can stand to use. I haven't tried Razor-qt, though, so it's possible I could put up with it. I have used E17 a bit, and it's workable. I don't mind LXDE, but I always feel like there's not much reason to use it over some of the window managers in combination with a couple of selected apps, and I really dislike not having the normal Openbox right-click menu even though I know that Openbox is running.

When I feel like something lighter weight, I find Fluxbox to be one of the best full desktop environment replacement window managers. With the system tray and the slit available, I can add just about any functionality I want. I also really like IceWM and Openbox (and Openbox is easy to augment). Blackbox isn't bad either, but I find myself missing some things from Fluxbox when I use it. I've also used Window Maker a bit, and it's not bad.

I've been meaning to give JWM more of a try, but I've generally only used it in Puppy, and I don't know how that reflects on a default install. I have also been meaning to really test out Awesome, but I haven't gotten around to doing so.

I was unfamiliar with i3. After reading a bit about it on its website, I am a bit intrigued. I might check that out soon.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 11, 2013
1:15 PM EDT
I would like it if they'd include TDE, just to see what has happened to KDE over the years.
BernardSwiss

Apr 11, 2013
6:35 PM EDT
I'm surprised at the difference between FVWM and IceWM -- I thought they were essentially the same -- they were certainly very similar a decade or so ago, when I first used them on Debian Potato (in fact, I even thought Icewm was just a tweaked version of FVWM),
caitlyn

Apr 12, 2013
1:31 PM EDT
PekWM is another that should be near the top of that graph, meaning very low resource consumption. I'd love to see where fltk-based EDE would fit in.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!