What a pointless lawsuit

Story: Opinion: Antitrust complaint against Android is an attack on open sourceTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
gary_newell

Apr 12, 2013
8:54 AM EDT
For years Microsoft were the dominant force and kept very quiet when the word competition was mentioned. Apple stifle competition every day with yet another pointless lawsuit.

So imagine the EU say something like.... you cannot give it away for free. If I ran a company I would say to my customers "I am leaving this piece of software over here and it isn't free, however I happen to be looking in another direction and may not notice that you have taken it and I'm not one for lawsuits so I probably would not bother seeking redress through the courts".

Lets face it, Google aren't giving anything away for free anyway. All they have to say is that the stuff they release is ad supported, not free. That means anything we get from Google is supplied to us with the knowledge that we need to use tools that show their adverts. That isn't free. That is ad-supported.

It is all pointless nonsense. If Microsoft want us to use their useless search engine then they should make it better. If they want us to use WIndows phones provide a feature that Android can't provide or make it so good we want to buy it. They should know this argument by now, they used it themselves for about 3 decades.

There have been free newspapers around for decades yet people still go to the newstands to buy the newspapers.
DrGeoffrey

Apr 12, 2013
10:08 AM EDT
But, but, but, Bing is better! Wasn't there a report recently that Bing finds more Malware sites than any other search engine?
Fettoosh

Apr 12, 2013
11:06 AM EDT
Google has a revenue generating model (Advertising services just like TV Brodcasting) and MS is more than welcome to beat them at their own game.

Free Software is also a revenue generating model (Consultation, hardware sale, and Support). No one is stopping MS from doing the same.

Go home MS and stop being a lazy cry baby, end of story.

DrGeoffrey

Apr 12, 2013
12:24 PM EDT
Quoting:Go home MS and stop being a lazy cry baby, end of story.

What? Give up their business plan?
henke54

Apr 12, 2013
12:39 PM EDT
comment from that article : "Like it was predatory for Microsoft to give away Internet Explorer back when Netscape Navigator was king of the web broswers? "

lol....
Fettoosh

Apr 12, 2013
1:09 PM EDT
Quoting:What? Give up their business plan?

Why not? Their business plan worked for a long time when there were no competitors, but It won't help them from becoming obsolete in the long run especially after FOSS empowered so many new competitors.

They tried everything else and failed at stopping FOSS, why not try what is working, good old healthy competition?

Never mind, I guess they don't know how.

caitlyn

Apr 12, 2013
1:24 PM EDT
They've been making patent claims against Android for a long time and extracting protection money... er... I mean royalties from cell phone companies for some time. Now they've added litigation roulette, the old SCO strategy. Unlike SCO they don't need to win. They simply need to scare hardware vendors away from Android. It's not pointless. Evil, yes. Pointless, no.
BernardSwiss

Apr 12, 2013
5:38 PM EDT
And if they should ever win such a suit -- even if it's inevitably overturned on appeal later -- that's gravy.
BernardSwiss

Apr 12, 2013
7:04 PM EDT
Addendum: Is this a legal action-- or a PR exercise?
djohnston

Apr 12, 2013
7:05 PM EDT
Quoting:Wasn't there a report recently that Bing finds more Malware sites than any other search engine?

8^))

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!