This was no dispute,... It was collusion,...

Story: Microsoft scores biggest patent licensee yet: FoxconnTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
JaseP

Apr 17, 2013
11:46 AM EDT
This was no dispute,... It was collusion,... Foxconn is and has been an MS partner for years,... even working with them several years ago to make the BIOS on certain motherboards report erroneous device table information if it was discovered that Linux was booting versus an MS OS. This is marketing, and at best,... well it would be inappropriate for me to use my next, preferred term, but suffice it to say it's like one back scratching another...
Fettoosh

Apr 17, 2013
12:42 PM EDT
Quoting:Foxconn has agreed to take a license for any product it produces that runs Google's Android or Chrome operating systems.

What about devices that don't come with Android or Chrome? Anyone knows?

I wonder what Google's response is going to be. Buy a Foxconn competitor? :-)

gus3

Apr 17, 2013
12:47 PM EDT
Doesn't Foxconn also manufacture iCr@p?
JaseP

Apr 17, 2013
1:58 PM EDT
Folks,... This "license" for Android (capable) devices is essentially a kickback or some kind of rebate on something else... For all we know, Foxconn was making the Surface (TM) tablets, and MS wanted a rebate on them because they were selling like garbage. And yes, Foxconn manufactures iOS devices too... Actually, Foxconn makes a lot of stuff for a lot of people... They're like the arms dealer who sells guns to both sides. MS just wanted a "discount." Foxconn felt obliged to play along... This is a Foxconn-job...
jdixon

Apr 17, 2013
2:24 PM EDT
Are you saying it's a faux-agreement, JaseP? Or would that make the announcement a con? :)
Fettoosh

Apr 17, 2013
3:07 PM EDT
Quoting:This "license" for Android (capable) devices is essentially a kickback or some kind of rebate on something else

Of course we don't believe everything we read on the Internet. And since none of all the agreements that MS claims to have signed with companies were disclosed, or released an iota of information about them, for all we know, they could be lying and just blowing smoke. But how do you know for sure that what you said is actually the case JaserP?

Are you on it with them? :-)

JaseP

Apr 17, 2013
4:59 PM EDT
@ jdixon & Fettoosh:

Yes, I am saying the "agreement" is a con job... a sham,... and No, I don't work for/with either of them (and never have/will). If I'm wrong, so be it. If they want to sue me for defamation, ... let 'em. The truth is an absolute defense to libel & slander,... And I would LOVE to engage in discovery with them to prove I'm right,...
CFWhitman

Apr 18, 2013
11:01 AM EDT
What does Foxconn really sell with Android on it, anyway? Not much I'd imagine. They don't generally make many finished products. They mostly sell to OEMs, and the OEMs decide what operating system to put on their devices. I think it's entirely misleading to claim that they're the "biggest patent licensee yet" when hardly anything they make gets Android put on it before it leaves their hands (afterwards is another story, but they don't have to license anything for that).
JaseP

Apr 18, 2013
1:57 PM EDT
@ CFWhitman:

Now, you're getting it,... It's a big,... Nothing. Foxconn makes boards,... I can't think of a single thing that they make that leaves their factories in retail form, with their name in it, that runs Android. MS can call this anything they want to the media... This is smoke and mirrors meets shell-game,... It's a parlor trick for the media, for headline effect.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!