OK,... So how can Google be considered evil...

Story: The EFF covers Googles open patent non-assertion pledgeTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
JaseP

Apr 17, 2013
4:38 PM EDT
OK,... So how can Google be considered evil given this kind of action??? OK, so they mine user data for serving up advertisement. As far as mega-corps go, Google pretty much stands alone as the most benevolent of their "peers."

But I know someone is itching to disagree with me,... So, let's hear it...
dinotrac

Apr 17, 2013
5:23 PM EDT
You're wrong.

Bad Google! Bad!
notbob

Apr 17, 2013
9:42 PM EDT
You decide:

http://tinyurl.com/cwerbc3

"Chrome browser software automatically downloads and installs updates without notification/permission."

That's one of the main reasons I tossed Windows. Now Google is doing it!? Again, I cry out, "If I want something updated, I/me/moi/myself will update it!! Keep your gottverdammt corporate mitts off'n my computer."

notbob

Apr 17, 2013
10:35 PM EDT
And here, again:

http://tinyurl.com/bqmkc3h

You pay $!500! for these glasses and Google threatens you!?

"If you resell, loan, transfer, or give your device to any other person without Google's authorization, Google reserves the right to deactivate the device"

"Hey Joe! Check out these cool specs I got" *POOF* Brick!!

Yeah. Not evil. Totally benign.

jdixon

Apr 18, 2013
8:35 AM EDT
Actually, I think removing Adblock from Google Play demonstrates their status fairly well.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 18, 2013
9:03 AM EDT
> "Chrome browser software automatically downloads and installs updates without notification/permission."

remove the job from /etc/cron.daily
JaseP

Apr 18, 2013
9:16 AM EDT
Quoting: > "Chrome browser software automatically downloads and installs updates without notification/permission."

remove the job from /etc/cron.daily

Thanks,... that....

Plus,... I was thinking, "OK,... install Chromium and/or Firefox instead."
JaseP

Apr 18, 2013
9:22 AM EDT
Quoting: You pay $!500! for these glasses and Google threatens you!?

"If you resell, loan, transfer, or give your device to any other person without Google's authorization, Google reserves the right to deactivate the device"

"Hey Joe! Check out these cool specs I got" *POOF* Brick!!

Yeah. Not evil. Totally benign.

OK,... So, you get a a piece of proprietary tech for a subsidized cost as an early developer copy,... and the manufacturer places restrictions on its use/distribution,... Example of evil?!?! Hmmm,... Nope,... Sorry. Not convinced... Not when Apple testers hurl themselves (helped?!?!) off of bridges in the far east when they lose their test rig...
notbob

Apr 18, 2013
11:02 AM EDT
Are you kidding me? "subsidized cost"!? This from a company that $1500 is less than spit? The fee is nothing but blatant extortion to enforce the TOS, the public outing of the pre-test nothing more than a carny pitch to get the sycophants in a froth. It could have all been handled quite nicely behind the scenes by providing developers with the devices at no cost. But, nooooo! This all stems from the moronic masses, which have been duped into exchanging the Golden Calf for a brand name. Like Pavlov's dogs, all participants have been conditioned well.

And yes, "sorry" is the appropriate adjective.
jdixon

Apr 18, 2013
12:12 PM EDT
> Are you kidding me? "subsidized cost"!? This from a company that $1500 is less than spit?

Agreed. If Google wants me to beta test their product, they can provide the product and pay me for my time.

They long ago squandered any good will they had built up on my part.
JaseP

Apr 18, 2013
5:34 PM EDT
I've looked, and can find nothing about what these things cost to produce at the moment. That means that they can cost anything from $250 to $2500 or more. Of course production units are something else...

Personally, I don't think that Google Glass will be the hit that many predict. I think it will have limited appeal. So, I don't worry about it. ... Now, self-driving cars,... that's different. I take the Glass project as being shameless media hype,... nothing more or less. Every business is entitled to a little shameless self-promotion, once in a while.

Despite some areas where some people disagree with their marketing or business model, I see no glaring evidence of evil. In fact I often see Google coming up on the side of both open source, privacy, and the little guy. ... Android, open source. Chrome/Chromium, open source. Defense of privacy invasions by gov't. Funding open source projects. Releasing free software/services (some with "strings" attached). I don't see any other big corporation doing any of that...
BernardSwiss

Apr 18, 2013
7:30 PM EDT
notbob wrote: "This all stems from the moronic masses, who have been duped into exchanging the Golden Calf for a brand name. Like Pavlov's dogs, all participants have been conditioned well."

{applause}

{so stealing that)
Bob_Robertson

Apr 19, 2013
9:27 AM EDT
The Glass project optics is what I'm interested in. Heads-Up-Displays are heavy and ugly, and the idea of direct projection onto the retina has been until now a thing only of science fiction.

JaseP

Apr 19, 2013
9:35 AM EDT
Quoting: ...the idea of direct projection onto the retina has been until now a thing only of science fiction...

That's actually one of the things I dislike about the project... I don't want anything burning images onto my retinas. Ghost images on my LCD screens are bad enough (and take a long time to go away).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!