I don't care how this goes down...

Story: Obama threatens to veto invasive cybersecurity bill CISPATotal Replies: 18
Author Content
caitlyn

Apr 19, 2013
3:17 AM EDT
I don't care how this goes down so long as CISPA doesn't become law. The House has now passed the bill. (I'm submitting that story to the newswire.) There is now a push asking people to call their Senators and to ask them to vote no.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 19, 2013
9:58 AM EDT
I always appreciate it when Caitlyn and I agree.
JaseP

Apr 19, 2013
10:01 AM EDT
Don't you guys know that despite what it says on your calendars, it's not 2013, it's really 1984?!?!
jdixon

Apr 19, 2013
10:48 AM EDT
> There is now a push asking people to call their Senators and to ask them to vote no.

My senators don't listen to me, as they already know I won't vote for them. :(
JaseP

Apr 19, 2013
11:27 AM EDT
All politicians only listen to those that pay for their campaigns. It doesn't matter what party, what country, what whatever you are talking about... The entire developed world is held hostage by big media. They control the flow of information, and decide what's "in" & "cool."
dinotrac

Apr 19, 2013
12:35 PM EDT
@JaseP --

Not as true as cynics believe.

People in positions of power tend to like being in positions of power. Let something stir the pot enough to rile the electorate, people listen.

Sometimes they get stupid and pay the price -- witness the electoral bloodbath of 2010, followed by the slap in the face administered to Republicans in 2012 after they got royally stupid and blew the opportunity that 2010 handed to them.

Did you notice how the recent spate of gun control measures went down? Somebody has been studying the 1934 midterm elections. That's when FDR went to the public with a list of items he'd try pushing through Congress only to be filibustered by Republicans. That's when he took complete control of Congress.

Those pithy little gun-control measures are the kind of thing you can throw at somebody and say "He voted against this".

If Democrats really are wising up -- a seeming impossibility given their nature -- 2014 could be a very interesting year.

Bob_Robertson

Apr 19, 2013
2:13 PM EDT
> Those pithy little gun-control measures are the kind of thing you can throw at somebody and say "He voted against this".

The circles in which I tend to run would say, rather, "He voted for this."
JaseP

Apr 19, 2013
2:44 PM EDT
Methinks we're getting too close to TOS issues... we should limit discussions more toward CISPA...
dinotrac

Apr 19, 2013
3:18 PM EDT
Hard to talk a political issue without talking a little politics.

My comment, for example, was basically that one should not simply presume that CISPA can't be beaten because politicians care only about who's greasing their palms. The truth is that they also care about those who could force their palms away from all the grease.
jdixon

Apr 19, 2013
3:55 PM EDT
> The truth is that they also care about those who could force their palms away from all the grease.

Yes. But that takes a fairly significant turnout of phone calls/letters from their voters to make them realize this issue is actually one which could have that result. And, as already noted, my letter/phone call would get rejected before it ever reached the pile.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 19, 2013
4:32 PM EDT
Without an Aaron Schwartz to get the "big names" to tell people about this, we're not going to be able to kill it.

The Powers That Be want it, and they want it bad.
montezuma

Apr 20, 2013
1:32 PM EDT
You guys are obviously "14 year old basement dwellers":

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/04/obama-threatens-c...

/snark
caitlyn

Apr 24, 2013
10:24 PM EDT
I agree with dinotrac on this one. His posts hit the mark very well. Voting against something, anything that 90% of the people support is stupidity of the highest order. There is another issue that could cost the party who mainly voted against far more than the background check vote.

Regarding CISPA, we've beaten previous ill advised efforts to pass onerous bills that impact every Internet user. I don't think this one is any different if we get enough people angry. The key here is not to let up one little bit until this is dead.

JaseP: How's hat for staying on topic?
caitlyn

Apr 26, 2013
1:53 AM EDT
The Senate killed CISPA. It's dead.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 26, 2013
8:38 AM EDT
Be wary, it will rise again!
jdixon

Apr 26, 2013
9:03 AM EDT
> Be wary, it will rise again!

As long as people with money to spend want something, it'll keep showing up.
caitlyn

Apr 27, 2013
9:19 PM EDT
...and we'll keep shooting it down. What it takes is vigilance and a little anger.
gus3

Apr 28, 2013
12:45 PM EDT
It's only mostly dead.
caitlyn

Apr 28, 2013
7:39 PM EDT
Is it pining for the fjords?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!