Baen, Mises, and others

Story: One Year Later, the Results of Tor Books UK Going DRM-FreeTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

May 03, 2013
10:27 AM EDT
The Baen Free Library, http://www.baen.com/library/ is also DRM free.

Many books at Mises.org have been put online gratis as well, and the experience they had is that ever time they make a book available free, in electronic form and therefore searchable, sales of the dead-tree editions increases.

Now maybe the negative comments are right and TOR did it only for the advertising. So what? If they get advertising out of it, good for them!

But culture benefits, and that is always a good thing.
BernardSwiss

May 03, 2013
11:36 AM EDT
AFAIK, Tor did it because they bought Baen: and for years Baen (the first ebook publisher to actually turn a profit) had been showing -- in practice -- that DRM is not only unnecessary, but even counter productive.
Bob_Robertson

May 03, 2013
12:05 PM EDT
Bernard, thank you. I didn't know Baen had been bought.

penguinist

May 03, 2013
12:12 PM EDT
And let's also not forget about "Pragmatic Programmers".

I bought the DRM-free electronic version of a couple of their Ruby books a while back, and have really enjoyed the freedom to place a copy on my tablet as well as my home and office desktops for handy reference. They have a nice notification service also, I get an email when a new version comes out along with direct links for a free update. Nice service...
skelband

May 03, 2013
12:38 PM EDT
Packt Publishing e-books are available in PDF form and are DRM-free. I have a few.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!