What's the difference between this and a zip-gun?

Story: The Era of the Open Source GunTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

May 07, 2013
8:50 AM EDT
Nothing. This one has advertising.

It's a good demonstrator of an idea, but that's all.
jdixon

May 07, 2013
9:50 AM EDT
I'd say it's more of a political statement than anything else at this point. Which doesn't mean it won't be effective in that role.
Bob_Robertson

May 07, 2013
10:53 AM EDT
It's sad when opposing restrictions is considered "political".
djohnston

May 07, 2013
3:18 PM EDT
Quoting:Nothing. This one has advertising.

It's a good demonstrator of an idea, but that's all.

Considering that a zip gun's barrel is usually metal pipe or tubing, the zip gun's barrel will last a lot longer than the one-shot throwaway extruded plastic barrel. I think this is just a "proof of concept", like you said. That, and getting the plans into the PD. The basic design can be improved, modified or redesigned. Who knows what materials tomorrow's 3D printers will be able to use?

There's a 2007 article about an engineer designing a 3D forms printer to be used for building fabricated house components. Now some Dutch architects are planning to build the first 3D printed house.

jdixon

May 07, 2013
3:24 PM EDT
> Who knows what materials tomorrow's 3D printers will be able to use?

That will be the key, yes. Getting a wide variety of materials available and making them easy to use and mix as required.
Bob_Robertson

May 07, 2013
3:55 PM EDT
There's already a laser-driven powdered titanium "printer" making aircraft parts. Been around for a couple years now.
jdixon

May 10, 2013
12:05 PM EDT
And, of course, the government has taken the site down. :(

Not the article in question, but the site hosting the plans. Of course, Pirate Bay already has them.
notbob

May 10, 2013
1:11 PM EDT
> Considering that a zip gun's barrel is usually metal pipe or tubing,

The first pics I saw of this atrocity showed a metal tube in the barrel. This piece of junk is useless, the only reason for its existence is to get the creator some PR. Tribesmen in Afghanistan can cast a real working rifle from a hole in the ground. This poorly engineered toy is two steps backward.
jdixon

May 10, 2013
1:38 PM EDT
> This piece of junk is useless,

As I said, it's a political statement. Which is why the government went after it.

Thus demonstrating the need for such a statement.
notbob

May 10, 2013
2:45 PM EDT
I seriously doubt the creator(s) possess(es) enough gray matter to form a political statement. Strictly an exercise in "Lookee me!!".
jdixon

May 10, 2013
2:56 PM EDT
> I seriously doubt the creator(s) possess(es) enough gray matter to form a political statement.

We'll just have to disagree about that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!