Depending on the ARM Hardware...

Story: SlateBook x2: Tegra 4-powered Android hybridTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Jeff91

May 15, 2013
2:32 PM EDT
This device will be sick. If we can get desktop Linux on this hardware with functional audio, opengl and video playback I would snap this hardware up in a heart beat to replace my Asus T101MT.

~Jeff
djohnston

May 15, 2013
6:06 PM EDT
Quoting:This device will be sick.

(colloquial) Mentally unstable, disturbed

(colloquial) In bad taste

(slang) Very good, excellent, awesome

gus3

May 15, 2013
6:45 PM EDT
Yes, no, yes.
Fettoosh

May 16, 2013
11:24 AM EDT
(Very good, excellent, awesome). I like to see KDE Plasma Active (Vivaldi) on such hardware.

CFWhitman

May 16, 2013
1:32 PM EDT
Jeff91 wrote:This device will be sick. If we can get desktop Linux on this hardware with functional audio, opengl and video playback I would snap this hardware up in a heart beat to replace my Asus T101MT.

Probably not the phrase I would have used, but I agree. :-) In my case it would be replacing my Acer Aspire One 722 netbook, as well as any larger Android tablet I might be tempted to buy. Lack of full support for the GPU in a standard Linux distribution is the most likely thing to end up a wrench in the works. It certainly would be nice to get some ARM hardware with full graphics support in Linux.

If this turns out to be a bust, I'll have to pin my hopes on the upcoming Bay Trail based hardware, or hardware based on the recently announced AMD SoCs.
linux4567

May 16, 2013
3:10 PM EDT
Sadly the lack of the flash plugin makes it not viable for me. Unfortunately the flash plugin is still essential for Internet videos, I'm not prepared to compromise on that but I'm very much looking forward to the day where flash will no longer be necessary.

Oh, and of course I would only buy it if I can run a real Linux distro on it, not that Android rubbish.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!