Laptop repair for dummies

Story: Not all laptops are designed equalTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
caitlyn

May 19, 2013
1:04 PM EDT
Over the past year I’ve received two laptops, both Toshibas, in non-working condition. If I could fix them I could have them for development and testing. I am decidedly hardware challenged (hence the dummies reference) and yet I was able to get both of them going again. One needed an internal cleaning, some connections reseated and a new battery. The other needed a fan to be cleaned so that it would turn again and a shorted battery pack that needed to be replaced. I’ve been inside a number of laptops over the years and I have had the best luck at being able to service the Toshiba products. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Bob_Robertson

May 20, 2013
10:24 AM EDT
I bought a used laptop on Ebay, which was so clogged with hair that I was surprised the fan could turn at all.

When I wrote back to the seller to tell him that it had arrived in working order, I asked how his white dog was doing. He was surprised that I knew, until he saw the photograph of the felt pad that had built up on the cooling fins.

I am very thankful for the various sites over the years which have published disassembly instructions for laptops.
jdixon

May 20, 2013
11:05 AM EDT
> I am very thankful for the various sites over the years which have published disassembly instructions for laptops over the years.

One of the things I like about Dell is that this type of information has always been available on their website. It's not always easy to find, but it's there.
CFWhitman

May 20, 2013
1:23 PM EDT
jdixon wrote:One of the things I like about Dell is that this type of information has always been available on their website. It's not always easy to find, but it's there.

Service manuals are always available for HP laptops as well, or at least for their business class ones (I haven't dealt much with consumer aimed ones, so their service manuals may or may not be available -- I don't know).
Bob_Robertson

May 20, 2013
3:16 PM EDT
You should-a aught-a seen what I had to do to get the service manual for my Sony VAIO laptop. Sony didn't even want to admit that such paperwork even existed.
jdixon

May 20, 2013
3:18 PM EDT
> Service manuals are always available for HP laptops as well...

I've been able to find the information needed on most HP laptops, but not all. That may merely be a failure on my part.

However, IMO, their writeups are nowhere near as good as Dell's.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!