Don't Forget the EULA.

Story: Smartcars: Dangerous if software companies would make themTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
theboomboomcars

May 27, 2013
11:00 AM EDT
MS is covered on this, they will just provide you with an EULA, that makes it so that you will not hold them liable for any damages for anything caused by a bug in their code. All good. ;-).

I honestly don't think any sane person would buy a car manufactured by MS, their reputation for reliability is not that high.
notbob

May 27, 2013
11:23 AM EDT
This is a major problem. Who is going to organize and oversee all this? I'm sure more than jes the auto industry is reluctant to become involved. It's one thing when 2 cars collide and and it has to be sorted out, but quite another if there's a system wide failure where several hundred cars are involved, all different auto brands and no doubt different software brands. Or is Google gonna own it all? I doubt it. And how WILL the govt regulate such a sticky nightmare. I don't see it happening for way longer than I'll be sucking oxy moles on this orb.

Also, despite M$'s impossible software, I find their hardware to be excellent. I've got two M$ keyboards and a trackball mouse and they're nearly bullet-proof. I wish their software was one-tenth as good. ;)
Fettoosh

May 27, 2013
12:16 PM EDT
I thought this page is appropriately related to the subject: GM replies to Bill Gates

And this goodie for a Dancing CEO

Heck, why not more goodies for Memorial day!

hkwint

May 27, 2013
12:18 PM EDT
EULA doesn't matter that much.

BMW can sell you a car with an EULA which says if BMW made a mistake with your brakes and you have an accident, BMW isn't liable. But the law prevails.

In fact, Apple did sell devices with an EULA which says you only have right to 1 year of guarentee, but judges all over Europe are making minced meat of Apple's EULA.

That's why MS hardware is bullet proof: Depending on country and interpretation of the judge, a mouse has to work for in between 2 and 5 years.

Thing is, there are laws for guarentee and for product liability, but not for software. That's why Google, MS or Apple can make EULA's in first place. Until society becomes dependent on it and politicians intervene: Soon, banks might have to pay if some hackers DDOS the hack out of internet-banking, and if such a thing happens, banks will probably be actually willing to have robust software, and they might even push to shut down "Windows zombie networks". In a distorted way, one would almost believe that banks might help society; at least against Windows-zombie boxes (but also cracked Apache/Linux servers) that is.
gus3

May 27, 2013
12:38 PM EDT
Microsoft's EULA for their software is little more than, "We get all the credit if it works, and none of the blame if it breaks. Oh, and we get to define 'works' and 'breaks'. Oh yeah, one more thing: By reading this, you have agreed to it."
BernardSwiss

May 27, 2013
8:53 PM EDT
And if their software does "break" even by their own definition, the maximum compensation to the customer will be about $5 (ie. cost of media).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!