Ubuntu derivatives

Story: NSA Scandal Reveals Google is not really like Linux and never was.Total Replies: 12
Author Content
djohnston

Jun 10, 2013
6:24 PM EDT
What is interesting to me is that LXLE, as well as others, use Ubuntu's code base. Yet, they create said derivatives because of disagreements with Ubuntu policies or software practices. It's not really biting the hand that feeds you, but why rely on Ubuntu's infrastructure if you disagree with Ubuntu so much that you create a derivative?

In LXLE's case, they're just providing an alternative desktop for Ubuntu's LTS release. I'm thinking more about Clément Lefebvre who has forked an entire desktop environment for Linux Mint users. Is Debian really that stodgy and staid?

seatex

Jun 10, 2013
8:36 PM EDT
I think Ubuntu compatibility is important to a lot of newbies now mostly because of the vast amount of software (newer than Debian versions) in Ubuntu repositories and PPAs.
buntfu

Jun 10, 2013
9:49 PM EDT
I have been considering switching to Debian, however seatex said it correctly. Its really the available packages, support and name recognition. Also, long term support is nice and some things you just can't do on debian... like netflix, however ubuntu has a ppa that will install it easily... could you make it work on debian,, ,maybe but its just an example of some of the things that are just naturally available on ubuntu.... and its not about giving up, its about speaking up before you have to give it up, and i'm speaking up.
buntfu

Jun 10, 2013
9:58 PM EDT
an addendum,,, I also wouldn't consider Linux Mint its absolute own OS, cinnamon was unnecessary they could have done the exact same thing with simple scripts in gnome 3, they instead decided to fork which created a massive amount of work that was unneeded, at least this is the opinion of bryan lunduke and i agree. Outside of cinnamon, Mint is Ubuntu with a couple different packages, if it wasn't you couldn't install entire "Ubuntu" desktops like Lubuntu Desktop, without issue. Just as you would in Ubuntu.
BFM

Jun 10, 2013
11:36 PM EDT
@buntfu

Umm no. The Mint people could not have replaced the Gnome 3 Shell with a few simple scripts. They had to do something like Cinnamon. You cannot access a whole C/C++ toolbox with just scripts. I am still using MATE since Cinnamon is not yet mature. Clem and his people are going in the right direction though.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 11, 2013
1:14 AM EDT
Quoting:some things you just can't do on debian... like netflix, however ubuntu has a ppa that will install it easily... could you make it work on debian

I have used the Ubuntu PPA for netflix-desktop successfully in Debian Wheezy. The CrunchBang forums are very helpful.
buntfu

Jun 11, 2013
1:23 AM EDT
nice, was there any tweaking to get it going?
buntfu

Jun 11, 2013
1:25 AM EDT
I was speaking of replacing gnome 3 i was saying that since gnome 3 is entirely script based, they could have used a few to alter the interface, as they needed. I'm not an expert on the subject but what lunduke was suggesting did make sense, however he could be wrong i suppose.
buntfu

Jun 11, 2013
1:36 AM EDT
errr. "wasn't speaking of",,, sorry for the typo
CFWhitman

Jun 11, 2013
9:19 AM EDT
Basically the only "gotchas" for using the Ubuntu PPA for installing Netflix-desktop in Wheezy are:

1. You have to replace the name of the version of the distribution "wheezy" in your repositories listing with the name of an appropriate version of Ubuntu; "quantal" seems to work fine.

2. If you are on 64-bit, then you have to install the i386 libraries/dependencies for wine. You can do this by running:
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install wine-bin:i386
as root (or with sudo). You probably would end up doing this to run wine if you want it anyway.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 11, 2013
7:58 PM EDT
Thanks @CFWhitman

And you also, in my case anyway, need to add a package to get sound working in a 64-bit environment:

# apt-get install libasound2-plugins:i386

Here's a link to an Ubuntu Forums post on the sound issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2084592&page=16&p=1...

And here's the CrunchBang forum thread, which I found very helpful:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23958
helios

Jun 12, 2013
7:45 PM EDT
It's not really biting the hand that feeds you, but why rely on Ubuntu's infrastructure if you disagree with Ubuntu so much that you create a derivative?

That was Ikey Doherty's dilemma when he decided to take the other fork in the road. No pun intended...

SolusOS was based on Debian and between upstream battles with them and the Gnome folks, Doherty took a deep breath and did what he really wanted to do all along.

He started from the ground up, decided on the PiSi package manager and began writing his own Linux Operating System. Yeah it's a lot of work but Ikey Doherty has both the brains and the tenacity to get it done. I am lucky enough to be on the inside of this development and all I can really tell you is...well, just friggin' wow. He never ceases to amaze me at how brilliant he is.

There will be a lot of Debian purists who walk away, but then again, they were never Debian purists if they used SolusOS anyway. The Debian package management system is probably the most well-known and stable of all of them, and that is admittedly hard to walk away from. Many people just won't be able to.

But for those who like to see what's ahead, I think SolusOS 2.0 is going to open a lot of eyes. He is also doing a custom build of 2.0 for our reglue efforts and we'll be calling it "Quantum of Solus".

Yeah, I know...pretty bad huh? But it's going to work for us. Having already alpha tested some of the inner-workings of SolusOS 2, I have to admit I am impressed. Here's what you will ultimately get...

A desktop that perfectly mimics Gnome 2 but built completely on Gnome 3/GTK3, with full backward compatibility to GTK2.

He has put hundreds and hundreds of hours into this and I think over time, people will be impressed.

So another fork? Yeah...

A lot of people grumble over the fragmentation of the Linux desktop and blame it at least partially for the failure of Linux on the Desktop. I'm not going to argue that point....it's probably partially true. The fact is, Linux is never going to become mainstream on the desktop, not in it's present form. Chromebooks are The New Linux and they are selling amazingly well.

So for those that grumble about Yet Another Fork....well, if you don't want to use it, fine...but don't try to shout down a man that's trying to make something better than what we have now. Most of the grumbling from the solus ranks have been from people still clutching to Apt-get. That's understandable, but it's also valuable to know when it's time to move on. For Doherty, that time is now.
djohnston

Jun 13, 2013
2:33 AM EDT
Well said, helios.

Quoting:He is also doing a custom build of 2.0 for our reglue efforts and we'll be calling it "Quantum of Solus".

Yeah, I know...pretty bad huh?

Kinda catchy, really. Little bit of flair, little bit of air. ;^)

Quoting:So for those that grumble about Yet Another Fork....well, if you don't want to use it, fine...but don't try to shout down a man that's trying to make something better than what we have now.

Not me. I'm not going to shout him down. His skills are better than mine and more power to him. I have no problem with 4,879 active Linux distros. Choice is good. I was just questioning staying with the ever-changing direction(s) of Canonical's code base and rules of etiquette. Or, is it netiquette?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!