MS Office is the one that is incompatible!

Story: Libre Office Version 4 – Tantalizingly CloseTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jun 14, 2013
8:44 AM EDT
It is Microsoft that refuses to use standard file formats.

It is Microsoft that continually changes their formats to make their products stop working.

It is long past time to stop calling OpenOffice, LibreOffice, KOffice, and other projects that use standard file formats and run on any platform to be the ones that are "incompatible".

It is Office that is "so close, but still incompatible".
seatex

Jun 14, 2013
9:21 AM EDT
Great points, Bob! Couldn't put it any better than that!
Fettoosh

Jun 14, 2013
3:39 PM EDT
Quoting:Large organizations must have standards. .... they also knew they had someone to sue if those standards were not met. And this is where open source has failed them.

They only failure here is the author not realising who the real culprit.

Open Source community makes open standards, complies with all standards, and advocates for using internationally approved and certified standards because they understand their importance and benefits to IT. It is MS who really tries hard to embraces, extends and extinguish standards and protocols. ex. SMB, Kerberos, W3C Html, OOXML, etc.

MS broke many standards and caused many problems to big business and on the internet by creating shoddy vulnerable software. Their problems caused loss of millions of dollars to big businesses, when was the last time any one heard of MS being sued for bad software? MS mandates to their customers signing a license agreement which guarantees compensation ONLY equal and not to exceed the cost of the license, is that something that would cheer up businesses? I definitely doubt it.

djohnston

Jun 14, 2013
5:29 PM EDT
Fettoosh,

You completely bypassed the preceding paragraph:

Quoting:I know I am going to upset the Linux faithful. While this group wants mass-market acceptance, it also wants everything to be freedom of choice. And this is exactly why Open Source fails to win significant mind share.

Freedom of choice is bad! I want to be told what to do, where to go, when to go, how to act ... If there's no one to give orders, I'm going to sue!!

Fettoosh

Jun 14, 2013
6:39 PM EDT
Quoting:You completely bypassed the preceding paragraph:

I know, I was going to include it but there are so much false information about FOSS ingested deviously in the article one don't know where to begin.

Bob_Robertson

Jun 17, 2013
8:42 AM EDT
Fetoosh,

> but there are so much false information about FOSS ingested deviously in the article one don't know where to begin.

Oh I know what you mean! Trying to go through and show every false assumption, every ignorant error, every non-sequitur, and every bogus conclusion, can lead to a "reply" that's 5 times as long as the original.

And there is a general impression that if one does not disprove something, one agrees (or at least allows) with it.
Fettoosh

Jun 17, 2013
12:07 PM EDT
Quoting:Oh I know what you mean! Trying to go through and show every false assumption,...

Exactly @BR. Thanks for the elaboration.

It is really getting sort of annoying to keep refuting & rebutting the same old lies and falsehoods over and over again by many lackeys.

I guess their tactic is to keep repeating the same lies enough times hoping it pays off and become believable.

Bob_Robertson

Jun 17, 2013
1:48 PM EDT
> I guess their tactic is to keep repeating the same lies enough times hoping it pays off and become believable.

A tactic used by totalitarian regimes of all sorts for a very long time indeed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!