If Germany moves.......

Story: German parliament moves to ban software patentsTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
Ridcully

Jun 14, 2013
9:17 AM EDT
If Germany moves as this bipartisan legislation suggests, then given the powerhouse of Europe that is the German economy, I suspect that it will not be long before other members of the EU also move in the same direction. New Zealand has already banned software patents. It looks like, at long last, the pendulum is swinging solidly in the direction of removing software from being patented..

Sooner or later (and if Europe moves, then sooner), I think the USA will have to move in the same direction because otherwise, its economy will be disadvantaged. Cynically, I suspect that economics and money are always central to movements like this. As someone remarked: If you have them by their wallets, their hearts and minds will follow.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 14, 2013
12:41 PM EDT
> I suspect that economics and money are always central to movements like this.

While I agree completely, the only economics involved is Public Choice Economics.

"In contrast, public choice theory modeled government as made up of officials who, besides pursuing the public interest, might act to benefit themselves, for example in the budget-maximizing model of bureaucracy, possibly at the cost of efficiency."

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc1/PublicChoiceTheory.html

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!