Initial Weirdness

Story: KScreen 1.0 Released For KDE Screen ManagementTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
Fettoosh

Jun 22, 2013
2:32 PM EDT
I am running Kubuntu 13.04 with KDE 4.10.4. KScreen is already included and when I upgraded one machine using a single standard monitor, everything worked great. On my other machine where the monitor could be a TV or PC monitor, strange things started happening.

After looking into the problem, I found out that KScreen recognises two different displays LVDS1 & VGA1. When I lunch some applications, they go to different screens display but only one is shown on the single monitor at a time. So I was able to see some but not others. There must be a way to swap between multiple displays but I haven't found it yet. I actually din't need to since all I had to do is to select "Unify Output" in the "Display & Monitor" setting in "Systems Settings".

Hopefully this tip will help someone.

telanoc

Jun 24, 2013
1:55 PM EDT
I had a similar problem with a MSI mini-itx system here. It has Intel 945 graphics sporting LVDS and TV outputs, along with the regular VGA output. The TV output was properly detected as having nothing connected to it, but xorg insisted that something was attached to the LVDS output and kept trying to use it. The VGA was the only thing connected so I had troubles like yours.

The solution I used was to add a dummy Monitor section to my xorg.conf and add an option to the Device section which pointed that output to the dummy monitor. While I was at it, I added a second for the TV output, in case a future upgrade suddenly made it appear connected as well.

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "NoLVDS"
    Option      "Ignore" "True"
EndSection

Section "Monitor" Identifier "NoTV" Option "Ignore" "True" EndSection

Section "Device" Identifier "Card0" Driver "intel" VendorName "MSI" BoardName "Built-in 945GM"

# Output VGA1 is connected to a real monitor. (not shown above) Option "Monitor-VGA1" "Monitor0"

# The outputs LVDS1 and TV1 are not connected. These entries # force those outputs to a disabled state Option "Monitor-LVDS1" "NoLVDS" Option "Monitor-TV1" "NoTV" EndSection

I'm not sure if I could have used the same Monitor section for both outputs. It seemed wrong to try, so I didn't.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!