Deckchairs Titanic

Story: Microsoft Reorg Memo: 10 Steve Ballmer TakeawaysTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
montezuma

Jul 13, 2013
2:53 PM EDT
Any sane Board of directors would have fired Ballmer years ago. The dude keeps ordering cheap unattractive knockoffs of other peoples products and they keep bombing.

This reorg is full of BS management speak. A company needs a CEO with a clue and a vision. Ballmer fails on both counts.

Duh
Ridcully

Jul 13, 2013
5:27 PM EDT
And you want to get rid of him ? When he is obviously doing such a great job to get Linux into the enterprise ? LOL. :-)

According to an article shortly to appear on LXer:
Quoting:From what we can see........the new [Microsoft] structure [initiated by Ballmer] will make it much more difficult for different divisions of Microsoft to innovate or react quickly to market conditions.
QED perhaps ??
montezuma

Jul 13, 2013
8:30 PM EDT
I don't want to get rid of him. I'm just amazed he is still there. His opposition looks much stronger:

http://www.businessinsider.com/red-hat-ceo-runs-his-billion-...

Sooner or later there will be fallout I would guess.....
jdixon

Jul 14, 2013
8:13 AM EDT
The fallout has been in their stock price, which has been largely stagnant in the $30 range for over 10 years.
montezuma

Jul 14, 2013
10:07 AM EDT
The stock performance has been relatively stable if stagnant and that is based on the dominance of the OS on PCs and in the corporate sector. That was Gates doing not Ballmer. Since Gates stepped down all Ballmer has done is maintain dominance and now because of hardware changes connected with the internet and mobility (and induced by rivals Google and Apple) Ballmer is behind the eight ball. The fallout I envisage is Ballmer getting fired as revenue drops.

I remember when the MS talking point was how they innovated. Clearly that was rubbish. Ballmer has just been copying people and badly. Gates also copied IBM originally but his angle was the consumer PC which IBM never grasped. That is vision and something Ballmer clearly lacks.
Ridcully

Jul 14, 2013
5:38 PM EDT
My personal perspective is that Microsoft is now an "aged" company, hidebound, set in its ways, unable to react quickly to new marketing procedures and lacking the spark of innovation that is necessary to kickstart projects that catch the consumer imagination. The slant I am getting is that Ballmer's restructuring increases the "hidebound" aspect. Currently, and as Montezuma points out, Microsoft innovation is to try to market its versions of already successful products - something like the long extinct Japanese business method of the 1950's and 60's. Also, as Jdixon implies, it isn't working. Ballmer isn't Gates but it's not quite as simple as that.

I think Microsoft's biggest problem is that it is still opting to use an outdated concept of software/product development and marketing. Open source concepts producing innovation and new applications are now walking all over the closed source methodology of Microsoft and until and unless Redmond alters its basic protocols and embraces FOSS concepts, the slow decay will continue. (And by that I do not mean the classic Redmond "embrace, extend, extinguish !).
Fettoosh

Jul 14, 2013
6:22 PM EDT
Quoting:Microsoft innovation is to try to market its versions of already successful products - something like the long extinct Japanese business method of the 1950's and 60's.

That strategy worked very well for MS and mainly because there was no serious competition to speak of. IBM wasn't really serious with its OS2.

Currently, no matter what MS tries to do with its OS is not expected to work. Nothing is going to work as it did before since the market is a totally different one. Windows is not open and modular enough like Linux and there is a lot of competition that MS can't even fathom. I am excited Ballmer is doing that and I hope he would stay as CEO of MS long enough to drain its stashed resources for nothing.

Steven_Rosenber

Jul 14, 2013
7:38 PM EDT
MS stock is up 30% for the year.
DrGeoffrey

Jul 14, 2013
8:06 PM EDT
NSA employees can certainly be blind.

Alternatively, there's a sucker born every minute. . .
jdixon

Jul 15, 2013
6:31 AM EDT
> MS stock is up 30% for the year.

With the broader market indexes being up between 15 and 20% for the year, that's not surprising.
montezuma

Jul 15, 2013
4:16 PM EDT
> MS stock is up 30% for the year.

Longer term fluctuations are more significant in my view since one can view the short range behaviour as stochastic. The long term MS stock price shows some interesting behaviour. Up until 1998 it grew at an exponential rate and peaked at $60 in 2000 which coincidentally (or not) was when Gates left as CEO. It then crashed to around $30 where it has been sitting more or less ever since.
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 15, 2013
6:20 PM EDT
Anything that is bad for M$ gets an 'A' in my book.
montezuma

Jul 16, 2013
10:50 AM EDT
Oooh look Scott:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57593884-94/microsoft-bewar...

ROFLMAO

Seriously though a $200 laptop sure is a tempting thing for consumers. Why does a Windows 8 laptop cost so much more? (rhetorical question)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!