What about the commercial Linuxes?

Story: Welcome to Microsoft Trustworthy ComputingTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Jul 17, 2013
8:55 PM EDT
Has anybody been checking this out? Has anybody asked?

Presumably at least RedHat, SuSE, and even Canonical have been approached by various Three Letter Agencies.

After all we know that the USA is not the only bad actor in this story -- I recall stories about the German security agencies (and with the Attachmate acquisition, SuSE might even serve two masters). I would be surprised if the UK apparatus has held itself to a higher standard than the other two.

(Go ahead; call me paranoid)
jdixon

Jul 17, 2013
9:18 PM EDT
> (Go ahead; call me paranoid)

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
JaseP

Jul 18, 2013
1:51 PM EDT
Tougher to slip stuff into open source software... Many eyes/shallow bugs and all... Note: the NSA was largely responsible for the development of SELinux,... So not everything they did was shady and underhanded,... just a whole lot.
jdixon

Jul 18, 2013
2:33 PM EDT
> the NSA was largely responsible for the development of SELinux,... So not everything they did was shady and underhanded,... just a whole lot.

From a foreign policy perspective, spying on other governments and foreign nationals is what the NSA is supposed to be doing. It can be argued whether that's appropriate or not, but all governments do it. The problem is they're not supposed to be spying on US citizens. That's apparently gone completely by the wayside since 2001. And both national parties have participated in the effort. :(
linux4567

Jul 18, 2013
3:40 PM EDT
> So not everything they did was shady and underhanded,... just a whole lot.

Sorry for the OT but I had to say this: What irks me is the use of the past form. They are still at it as much as before!! This is not something that happened in the past and has now stopped!
JaseP

Jul 18, 2013
5:21 PM EDT
I'm just saying that Spyin' & Lyin' is worse than just Spyin'... But point taken...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!