It's lost its mind

Story: Has One Laptop Per Child Totally Lost Its Way?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
notbob

Jul 21, 2013
10:42 AM EDT
....a long time ago. How anyone believed OLPC could produce a keyboarded wifi laptop for anywhere near $100 musta been on drugs. Heck, the ratberrypi takes more than $100 worth of connectors/interfaces to even come close to the original OLPC concept and it's the cheapest entry point going. Selling cheapo clone tablets thru wallyworld is no surprise. All those OLPC directors still gotta pay their bills and I dare say one is not likely to find a single grass hut inhabitant in the entire management hierarchy.
number6x

Jul 21, 2013
11:32 AM EDT
OLPC wanted to produce a laptop and make it available for about $100 per laptop to schools and charitable organizations. That was their target price for the purchase by these organizations.

OLPC was founded as a charity meant to raise money to offset the difference between the actual cost of producing the laptop and the $100 price tag. Whether or not this was all on the up and up or one of the many UN sponsored efforts meant to funnel dollars to connected organizations and suppliers remains to be seen.
notbob

Jul 21, 2013
2:01 PM EDT
I quit looking, long ago.
mbaehrlxer

Jul 23, 2013
6:02 AM EDT
i believe the reason the $100 price-point was not reached is simply lack of volume. they just didn't get to make enough machines fast enough. and whether the educational effects pan out as expected remains to be seen. education is a long-term project.

however, one thing has to be said. they have produced hardware that is one of its kind. i got an XO in 2008 and even after 3 years of daily use the battery was still at full capacity. i have yet to see any other device where the battery didn't loose capacity within a year after purchase. likewise, the dualmode screen that works without backlight, enabling work in bright sunlight is something i have not been able to find elsewhere. i'd gladly buy such a device at a higher price for those advantages alone.

i am not interested in a tablet, but if they ever sell a regular laptop, no matter how goofy it looks, i'll want one.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!