The government always lies

Story: NSA secrets kill our trustTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Aug 02, 2013
8:52 AM EDT
Everything every govt bureaucrat says is a lie. Always.

If they say the sky is blue, do not trust it until you see for yourself. Expecting it to be the opposite of anything they say will be right far more often than wrong.

Fettoosh

Aug 02, 2013
9:30 AM EDT
@BR,

What do you expect, governments of today are all made of politicians. Governments of states-men/Women are thing of the past.

Bob_Robertson

Aug 02, 2013
9:39 AM EDT
I think Socrates would have said the same thing.
Fettoosh

Aug 02, 2013
10:13 AM EDT
I am sure he did but in many different ways.

I also believe voters these days should pass an exam before they are qualified to vote. Ops, I believe he said that too in different ways. :-)

alc

Aug 02, 2013
11:12 AM EDT
"I also believe voters these days should pass an exam before they are qualified to vote."

How long after that's announced would the claims of voter suppression start.
nmset

Aug 02, 2013
1:40 PM EDT
I believe that poll candidates should rather prove that they are qualified to manage affairs, to be leaders, to be 'meneurs d'hommes'... and that unmasked story tellers should be jailed. Socrates perhaps didn't imagine these latter ones could exist !
jdixon

Aug 02, 2013
3:56 PM EDT
> I also believe voters these days should pass an exam before they are qualified to vote.

I'd argue that only people who are net taxpayers should be allowed to vote.

mbaehrlxer

Aug 02, 2013
9:58 PM EDT
there should be no poll candidates. let voters choose among the general population (on the local level, within their district, neighborhood, etc) so they can decide for themselves who is the best person for the job. those elected would then be truly representative of their community, and can further elect higher levels...

since everyone can be a candidate it also rules out campaigning since that couldn't possibly be done in any fair manner.

voters responsibility is only to get to know many people in their community to be able to pick the most suitable ones. if every voter elects as many people as are to be chosen (say 5) then that's enough votes so that each elected candidate can have a majority of voters supporting that person.

there should also be no parties. elected representatives should only be responsible to do their best to serve their people and not have to follow any kind of affiliation.

this whole party business: i disagree with you because you are not in my party, your idea is good but i don't support it because it's from another party, or, i don't think, i just vote what my party wants... just needs to stop.

greetings, eMBee.
jdixon

Aug 02, 2013
10:42 PM EDT
> ...let voters choose among the general population (on the local level, within their district, neighborhood, etc) so they can decide for themselves who is the best person for the job. those elected would then be truly representative of their community, and can further elect higher levels...

Seriously, at this point we'd probably be better served by a random selection system than by an elected legislature. It's possible that executive branch should stay elected, but even that's not certain.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!